HELP! Dog got sprayed by skunk, what should I use to get rid of smell

92caddy

Egg Lover
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Portland, IN
I get to bed at 2am, only to be woken at 4 am by better half, smelling of skunk, the dog found a skunk out in the barn and wouldnt leave skunk alone so, skunk sprayed them. I know it has been told before what to use to rid of the smell, but I dont remember............. Im getting sick from smelling them.............

That homemade mixture in the article posted does work ... better than any other. But, nothing works completely. The sooner the better to remove the smell!

Go to the vet or pet store and buy the most expensive scent removal stuff they have. In cases like this, cheap isn't the way to go. You really get what you pay for....
wink.png

my dog got skunked last year(let me say the whole process took about 2 minutes so, stupid dog!skunks give plenty of warning) I saw that he found a critter and I have taught my dogs if they attack something their butts are in SERIOUS trouble, so by the time I approached the whole scene he just got it. the peroxide, water, soap mix online worked wonderfully. fortunately it was on the top of his head, neck area so his face wasn't doused and I made him finish off his evening in the horse trailer and washed him in the morning. my other dog who was with the dumby that got sprayed stayed back a few feet before I got there so she was spared.

Thanks everyone, its been a BIG help. I have washed the dog 3 or 4 times now, I can still smell it a bit, nothing like it was. I closed dog in the laundry room for awhile to warm up, after I dryed her off, cause its cold out side. After awhile here, I will be getting her in the bath tub and have another go at it. Its such a pain to try to hold the dog and wash her at the same time. With the bath tub, I can get in with her and shut the shower door and really give her a good scrubbing, and maybe let her soak in it for a bit. Again, THANKS SOOOOO MUCH...................

Oh no! I remember something about this on myth busters???? Or something.... the store bought stuff beat the home remedies hands down.

Sounds like you have yours under control now anyhow..... best of luck to ya... hopefully if nothing else... he's learned to leave those skunks alone!

She is a jack russle I dont think they leave NOTHING alone, thats good in some ways and bad in this way. I wonder what better half smells like after getting to work. hehehehhehe He changed what clothes he thought smelt like skunk and headed to work. The house has a nice skunk smell. I threw his clothes outside for the time being. Will the smell wash out of them or will I have to throw them away?

Back
Top Bottom