HELP! Dove Laid Egg On Porch - What Do We Do!?

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
2_dove-egg.jpg

My wife got back from picking up our girls from pre-school and there was a dove sitting on our porch. They were watching it wondering why it was there and not flying away when all of a sudden... PLOP, it laid an egg right in front of them!?!?

So, what do we do? We know where their next is, should we pick up the egg with gloves and set it in the nest?

Should we try to incubate it?

I would wonder why she laid it on the porch and not in her nest!! If It was me I would try to put it back, but then she may not take it and push it out of the nest!
hu.gif
Hard choice!

You dont need to wear cloves to place eggs in nest. Birds have a very poor sense of smell so they will incubate the egg/brood the chick no matter if you touched it with gloves or not. I would place it back in the nest...or try to find a wildlife rehabilitator close by who incubates eggs.
smile.png

Rob,

Remember that if you do try to incubate it, you will have to handfeed it, which can be a hassle. I'd say try to put it in the nest, but if she tosses it, she tosses it. Not all eggs are meant to live.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom