Help duckling has puncture wound in crop foods coming out of it

I fed Tiny a little bit of food out side a few minutes ago and let her hang out with her siblings real quick.

The hole is leaking from all the water she drank with food and bathing.
View attachment 3615333

I'm really worried about her right now (I'm possibly just over thinking again) she's really playing in the water right now and she acts like a normal duckling but her eyes and of course the injury just make me worried.

When she flaps her wings to stretch and gets tall she sounds a little stuffed up occasionally. The eye discharge seems clear and there really isn't much all the time.

Should I possibly try wrapping her neck up to help it stay moist? I don't think it gets dry really Idk.
I’m following to be educated. I know nothing about ducks specifically- sorry.

We might get her to a vet today.

Im trying to feed her a little bit of food at a time so shes not filling up to much and having food debris come out of the injury.
She bathed again today and is really active and tried exploring my room when she was out to bath.

I'm don't know if the vet would have any experience with ducks and the car ride seems like it would be very stressful potentially, if we do take her to a vet does anyone know how to help make sure she would be calm for a almost thirty minute drive?

If we do take her I'll put her in a cat carrier most likely.

Edited to fix writing error:

We might get her to a vet today.

Im trying to feed her a little bit of food at a time so shes not filling up to much and having food debris come out of the injury.
She bathed again today and is really active and tried exploring my room when she was out to bath.

I'm don't know if the vet would have any experience with ducks and the car ride seems like it would be very stressful potentially, if we do take her to a vet does anyone know how to help make sure she would be calm for a almost thirty minute drive?

If we do take her I'll put her in a cat carrier most likely.

Edited to fix writing error:
Does the vet specialize in poultry?

No, I don't believe so I'm not even sure what vet it is. I don't think it's the one we take our dogs and cat to. My dad called around yesterday and I don't think he found anyone who does poultry specifically, at least that isn't hours away.

If we do get her to a vet I'd probably just have them look at her injury and possibly have them clean it or something.

And Tiny is trying to get out the kennel.

If the vet knew poultry they could stitch the outside and inside layers with dissolving sutures. If they don’t know poultry or ducks, then you could stress her and spend lots of money for nothing. I would ask ahead if the vet would feel comfortable closing the crop and skin layers. Super Glue is sometimes used to close the 2 layers, but I just hate using that stuff on anything. I would do a little reading about torpedo feeding, which might be thick enough to not come out. Video is below of how to make it. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

If the vet knew poultry they could stitch the outside and inside layers with dissolving sutures. If they don’t know poultry or ducks, then you could stress her and spend lots of money for nothing. I would ask ahead if the vet would feel comfortable closing the crop and skin layers. Super Glue is sometimes used to close the 2 layers, but I just hate using that stuff on anything. I would do a little reading about torpedo feeding, which might be thick enough to not come out. Video is below of how to make it. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Thank you!

Will do!

The torpedo thing might be helpful for one of my adult ducks with a messed up bill too.

Im definitely gonna try it for Tiny, thank you for the help!

I think the vet actually does or maybe somewhat.

We've an appointment for her tomorrow. I have the cat carrier ready for it and I'm gonna try finding ways to make sure she's not to stressed on the ride.

I took her outside for a little bit earlier to hang out with her siblings she's been getting really bored in the kennel.

Tiny got three sutures at the vet today.

And we were given clavamox (amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tablets) for Tiny, were supposed to give her one tablet orally twice per day.

And silver sulfadiazine cream to apply to the sutures twice daily.

The sutures are gonna be taken out in about 14 days, Im not sure if we have to take her in for their removal though.
She got a exotic pocket pet exam is what it says on the paper, she seemed pretty calm during the ride there and back. She had to be left there so I wasn't able to witness the exam or ask the vet any questions. I don't think they put her under or anything during the suturing.

She's acting normal she was thirsty when she first got back, I don't know if I how much I can feed her and stuff or if she can go back outside or anything, any suggestions?

Tiny before we left, got to check out the carrier before leaving she's so curious and not really scared of much in the house it seems like.
20230821_101402_HDR.jpg

After we got back, I let Tiny stretch her legs out of the kennel for a few minutes.
20230822_113112_HDR.jpg 20230822_114515.jpg 20230822_114517_HDR.jpg

Im not sure how well versed the vet we went to is with ducks so, does the medicines she got and the treatment seem right to anyone who might know better? Im assuming they choose good things for her just not sure.

They never gave her any clavamox so they said when I got back I could give her it. Would it be wise to still use the saline and the vetricyn? I never got to ask at the vet. I could call the vet and ask which I think I'll do but I still want more opinions.

This was my first time taking a duck or chicken to the vet.

Attachments

• 20230822_075943.jpg
    20230822_075943.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230822_114521_HDR.jpg
    20230822_114521_HDR.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2
I just put the silver sulfadiazine on Tiny's sutures, I don't think I was able to get it on her properly though because her feathers are in the way.

They never shared the area I'm not sure if that is better for her or not but the feathers sure do make it hard to tell what's going on and what I'm doing.

She also took her clavamox tablet like it was a treat (unlike most dogs and cats, lol).

I'm thinking in a day or so I could probably use the vetericyn on them? I tried to find information about using it on sutures but I couldn't really find much. Saline and water are also something I'm sure from what I could find are not food to use until at least a few days after getting the sutures?
The vets office gave me little to no information written or verbal on the at home care of the sutures, all I really got was the dosage stuff for her medicine. And how long till her sutures come out, which I don't entirely know if their dissolving sutures or not.

Back
Top Bottom