Help!! Ducklings won’t come in at night

Duck Gal

Chirping
Jul 30, 2019
Alford, FL
I lost a duck ‘ that left me with one. I got 2 ducklings, now 7 weeks old. The ducklings are getting in the pond & staying there. I cannot get them out at night- they stay out all night. They will not follow the older duck to the bed at night. They will eat of my hand, but will not cone to me. How can I get them to go in at night? They have been outside a couple weeks now & I have only been able to chase them in at night 4 times.

I am only just now seeing this, I used a handful of frozen peas to encourage my ducks in to their hutch each evening. In a few days, when they heard the sound of the bag being shaken they would race to be first to get the treat. Now 2 years later they just go in every evening out of habit. although I often still give them a treat.

In our pond, I hide behind some trees or shrubbery and gently ploosh a boat oar in the water. I think that makes them think something is coming into the water, and they’ll come out.

your ducks are young though. They’ll eventually learn the routine of going inside every night, especially if you leave a treat in the duck house for them.

Back
Top Bottom