Ready to spend the night outside?

Schfam

Chirping
Jun 16, 2022
Hi Everyone! I have 3 Pekin ducklings, one is almost 6 weeks old and the other 2 will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. This is my first time raising ducklings. I know without being sufficiently feathered they should’ve be outside below 50 degrees? I want to post a few pictures of them and see if anyone with more experience than myself can guide me concerning how close they are to being able to stay outside. Nighttime temperatures this week will range from 42-53 degrees. They’ve been outside for the day and we bring them in at night, but they are quickly outgrowing the indoor space. Always appreciate your help! Thank you!!!
@miss_lydia
🩷

Attachments

• IMG_2583.jpeg
    IMG_2583.jpeg
    837.8 KB · Views: 90
Me personally I would keep the little fuzzheads above 60 degrees at 4 weeks old
I count back 5 degrees a week starting at 85 degrees
when they are only 4 weeks old its 65 degrees they still need
Once they are 7 weeks old they are full feathered
I know some here disagree I tend to lean on cautious side, why risk it

What would they be in at night? Does it have fluffy warm hay/straw to bed down in? Is next weeks weather supposed to be better or worse for you?

I bought a remote thermometer from Walmart and put the probe in their coop. That way, I can check the temperature in their coop from in the house. It mostly just gives me peace of mind, knowing that it is much warmer in their coop than the outside air temperature.

Btw, I just put my little one outside at night and he was 8 1/2 weeks old. I agree with Jenbirdee and lean cautious too.

Last edited:
I have 4 Indian Runner ducks inside [5 weeks old tomorrow] and am trying to figure out how I am going to transition them to the outdoors. We go out every day it gets above 60 but putting them outside for good will take a while yet. They aren't fully feathered and even though i am going to put a coop flat heater in their stall[ don't want them picked on by the adults] Being outside during the day they aren't ready for if temps to drop below 60.
These girls may 71820869609__6BF552E1-CD76-4C5B-85A8-BE9942034816.jpeg IMG_2393.jpeg be inside until spring lol I actually made a pen for them inside my home. Very dusty but once they are outside Clean up should go good. What we won't do for our babies.

I have 4 Indian Runner ducks inside [5 weeks old tomorrow] and am trying to figure out how I am going to transition them to the outdoors. We go out every day it gets above 60 but putting them outside for good will take a while yet. They aren't fully feathered and even though i am going to put a coop flat heater in their stall[ don't want them picked on by the adults] Being outside during the day they aren't ready for if temps to drop below 60.
These girls may View attachment 3660137View attachment 3660138be inside until spring lol I actually made a pen for them inside my home. Very dusty but once they are outside Clean up should go good. What we won't do for our babies.
When they are old enough for you local night temperatures and fully feathered, you might transision them to being with the big girls by having them sleep in a dogcrate or an area partitioned off in your coop specially for them. You will need to keep them spearate in the coop for quite a while after they are running around in the run or backyard during the day

I have a stall all ready for them just not sure even fully feathered they can take temps in the 50 and below, nervous mama here. At night they will have the flat heater but during the day I will keep them inside a dog X pen so everyone can get used to them and my drakes will leave them alone. Thankfully my drakes are calm this time of year. They have met everyone but I don't trust everyone to be nice so they won't get to run around with everyone right off.

Last edited:
Young birds are much hardier than many cautious poultry parents realize. Ducks that are 4 weeks old can handle temps much lower than 50 degrees. Mine are with the moms and would not be under the moms even at night. If they have a buddy to snuggle with and a draft free dry location they will be fine outside. I've discovered 2 week old chicks where mom was not sitting on them at night when it was 40 degrees they were fine. And Ducks are even hardier than chicks.

Back
Top Bottom