HELP! Dying Rooster!

letthemcrow

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Big stone gap, va
I have around a 3.5 year old Bantam Rooster, named Satan (this bird earned his name, trust me )
I have around 25 chickens that free range.
My little Banty became ill around 1 week ago.
Puffed up, not engaging with other members of the flock.
I separated him, he’s been in a crate in my basement.
He has got progressively worse over the last 2 days.
My neighbors chIckens were sick a few weeks ago, my neighbor thought they had Coccidosis.
I’ve treated my entire flock with Corid, including Satan.
Satan’s Face has turned solid white. I’m almost positive it is not thrush, from what I can tell by the Thrush posts.
He is not eating much, not really drinking at all
He has no signs of respiratory disease.
His poo is green, more watery than anything.
I feel so helpless! This rooster and I have a love/hate relationship. He has waited for me every day under my truck...to flog me.
I’ve googled his symptoms until I’m blue in the face.
If I can figure out how, I will post a before and after of Satan.
Thank you!

Attachments

• F7FDD72A-44F2-4D7F-A031-0D6CB2C4D19B.jpeg
    F7FDD72A-44F2-4D7F-A031-0D6CB2C4D19B.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 10E552AE-2A22-4E93-A556-5BCBC2D49360.jpeg
    10E552AE-2A22-4E93-A556-5BCBC2D49360.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 48
  • F194B0B8-9B6E-4D1F-9E55-02C922968AC4.png
    F194B0B8-9B6E-4D1F-9E55-02C922968AC4.png
    4 MB · Views: 47
What color are Satan's eyes?

I note in the first photo they appear normal orange iris, but the last photo shows them a milky grey with little pupil.

Photos posted on web can play color tricks, but if they truly are milky looking, I'm thinking ocular Marek's with further Marek's growth internally which would describe a lot of his symptoms.

If eyes are normal, or you know he went blind in one eye due to injury, then we'll look at other things.

LofMc

I note in the first photo they appear normal orange iris, but the last photo shows them a milky grey with little pupil.

Photos posted on web can play color tricks, but if they truly are milky looking, I'm thinking ocular Marek's with further Marek's growth internally which would describe a lot of his symptoms.

If eyes are normal, or you know he went blind in one eye due to injury, then we'll look at other things.

LofMc
I used the flash on the camera. I think that’s what it was.
I was thinking Mareks too, but he shows no signs of paralysis.
He is still hanging on this morning!

LofMc

LofMc
You know, when I think about it. When I have walked up to his cage, he makes no movement. Only when I speak to him.
I’ve been reading up on the type of Mareks you described, and I do think he has went blind.

I used the flash on the camera. I think that’s what it was.
I was thinking Mareks too, but he shows no signs of paralysis.
He is still hanging on this morning!

I can't tell in the non-flash photo exactly what the eye looks like...but I think it shows an uneven pupil. The signs of ocular Marek's is uneven pupils and/or milky iris. Many birds have lived with ocular Marek's for years and succumb eventually.

Mareks is a herpes virus that causes tumors. Different strains cause different locations and growth speed of tumors.

Paralysis happens only when the tumors grow on the nerves that press against the sciatic nerve or wing. If the tumors grown internally, it causes slow wasting away as internal organs shut down. If the tumors grow in the eye, you get irregular pupils, milky coloring, and blindness.

Only a few strains cause the quick, dramatic paralysis with death. Many of the strains are slow killers lingering for years, quietly growing, until the bird's immune system is compromised either by stress, illness, or age.

Then you get the subtle signs of a slowly weakening and wasting bird.

Only you can tell if the eye looks abnormal in natural light in up close 3D.

But I strongly suspicion your rooster has succumbed to lingering Mareks.

Nothing can be done but some TLC. Your flock has long been exposed. Most flocks have been exposed to the virus. Vaccination only offers partial immunity (preventing or slowing tumor growth) of some major strains, but does not prevent transmission.

Most savvy breeders breed for natural resistance using those birds who remain healthy.

Sorry your boy is doing poorly. It sounds like he had an active and vivacious life...as noted by your trouser legs. :D

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom