HELP! Dying Rooster!

Puffed up, not engaging with other members of the flock.
I’ve treated my entire flockwith Corid, including Satan.
His poo is green, more watery than anything.
I’ve been reading up on the type of Mareks you described, and I do think he has went blind.
Do you have photos of the poop?
Will he react to your hand/fingers being near the eyes, if you try to touch the eye will he close it?
You treated with Corid-what dosage?
Is his crop emptying overnight?
A good clear photo of the eye(s) would help - do you have someone that can hold him while a picture is taken?

It's possible that he may be suffering from Marek's, sometimes it can show up in older birds. If you can take some stool samples to your vet that would be good too.

Check him for lice/mites and any injuries, feel the crop and see that it's emptying completely overnight. Do what you can to keep him hydrated and eating.

Keep us posted.

Crop is good
Poo is more less water. He’s not eating much. A little bit not much. He is drinking better today.
He will close his eye when I put my hand up to it.
Is there any explanation of why his face has turned white? He’s always had a very handsome, vibrant red face!
Here is a photo of his eyes.
The little stinker is still hanging on! He’s a tough little booger!

Attachments

• 56D5EFDA-18A6-4589-83C9-E83068448A3C.jpeg
    56D5EFDA-18A6-4589-83C9-E83068448A3C.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 3635174D-4157-4AEC-8F5C-64DB4C91E943.jpeg
    3635174D-4157-4AEC-8F5C-64DB4C91E943.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 6205CA24-43A0-4416-8FC1-A3947D91ABD3.jpeg
    6205CA24-43A0-4416-8FC1-A3947D91ABD3.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 20
Crop is good
Poo is more less water. He’s not eating much. A little bit not much. He is drinking better today.
He will close his eye when I put my hand up to it.
Is there any explanation of why his face has turned white? He’s always had a very handsome, vibrant red face!
Here is a photo of his eyes.
The little stinker is still hanging on! He’s a tough little booger!
@Eggcessive ?

I am not sure what would make the wattles and face turn white like that, it's as if he has lost pigment. Both eyes look different as well, it could be disease like Marek's or a condition Coloboma let's see if someone else will chime in.

I notice in the photo, does he have mucous coming from the nostril?
If there is any way you can get a fecal float that would be good. Your VA State Lab probably can provide these services cheaper than a vet, so give them a call to see what they can do.

upload_2018-7-30_15-11-34.png

I really haven’t seen that type of raised white coloration on the face and wattles before in a chicken. I would wonder about possibly cutaneous Mareks. It doesn’t look like favus, a fungal infection, although my husband says that fungus can look like that in humans. The pigmentation in the eyes and the irregular iris, especially in the right eye, is suspicious for Mareks, but I am not an expert or dealt with it before. Perhaps @Nambroth would chime in about those signs. That does look like a booger in the nostril, but wonder what the OP is seeing.

Do you have any photos of him, especially of his face, from before he became ill?
Do you know what symptoms your neighbor's chickens demonstrated when they became ill? I know you said that they thought they had coccidiosis, but I'm just wondering if there were any specific symptoms observed.
I personally have not experienced cutaneous Marek's in my birds, but have observed photographs from veterinary sources and normally one would see the follicles slightly swollen and raised; if you can handle necropsy photos/photos of ill or deceased specimen chickens, check out this link. WARNING graphic photos of sick/dead/dissected chickens. Click the "gross lesions" tab at the top of the photos to get to the photos that show the cutaneous lesions. Click through them using the arrow icons to see if anything looks similar to what you are experiencing (you can quit looking after you get to the internal photos). Please note that there is no cut and dry "Marek's always looks this way"... unfortunately this disease can mimic or look like a lot of other things. You can check on the rest of his body if you can handle him without causing excessive stress, to see if the follicles look enlarged, raised, or otherwise unusual on any other part of his body.

I believe he is a Minorca, or when he was well, the spawn of Satan himself
The last 2 days, he has felt more like himself. He seems a little more spry.
He isn’t better, by any means, but he has perked up a bit.
He did eat a boiled egg yesterday, and today.
I have tons of before photos of him!
Let me dig them up!

As far as my neighbors chickens, they all just started falling over dead. They showed symptoms around 4 hours before death

Back
Top Bottom