HELP Egg bound Orpington don't know what to do???

luv2bmomjen

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Colorado
Our sweet girl is egg bound and we found her bleeding pretty bad last night. We brought her in to get her warm in a brooder. She did good all night slept standing up. Doest seem like she is in pain but she has a prolapsed vent. I am BRAND NEW to chickens. I have no idea what to do to help her pass this egg and get better. The vet wants $500 to sedate her and pray for an egg. I just don't know if I can pull that off when this may be an issue she always has. These girls are our kids pets. We do not live on a farm they are our backyard chickens!!!
Any advice will help!!!

Dose is 0.2ml per pound every twelve hours. Might also be a good idea to tube fluids to her at 15ml per pound every 6-8 hours.

-Kathy

I will try those things. Thank you. I did inject some olive oil into her vent to see if it might help the eggs move but nothing so far. She is acting totally normal. Very healthy! I do not feel any eggs. Could she have a prolapse for another reason? Even if she not laying yet?

Lubricants such as KY Jelly can be used to lubricate the vent and help push it back inside, but you need to try to get the egg out, since drying out of the tissues can cause damage to her oviduct. Follow Kathy's instructions on the hot steamy bathroom and calcium. If you can't get the calcium gluconate, try some an oral calcium tablet or tums ground up. Even ground egg shells. After getting the egg out, you can try honey or Preparation H to help reduce the swelling. Then try to push the prolapsed tissue back inside as soon as possible, and hold it there for 5-10 minutes. It may come back out, but keep pushing it back inside. Then to try to stop her from laying, put her in dark room or cover her cage for 16 hours a day, and reduce her food intake or protein level. Here are some good links for you:
http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Yes a prolapse is possible without being egg bound.

Last edited:
What wonderful advice. If I save this chicken it will the second one that I personally saved thanks to all you wonderful people at backyard chickens. Thank you so much. My 10 yr old daughter, well all three kids will be so very sad if we loose our sweet Salt so they thank you from the bottom of their little hearts too!

Be very careful, she might have a stuck soft-shelled egg, which you will still be able to feel, but you don't want to break it. Google chicken reproductive tract and get a good visual of where the egg should be. I'd post a picture, but I can't post them on the iPad.

-Kathy

repro_tract_hen_labeled.jpg
Anatomy-of-the-chicken-with-text.jpg

WOW great information. I removed the egg about 35 hours ago and she has not been able to lay another yet. The last egg was pretty big but had a very hard shell and I had no trouble slowly pulling it out. She didn't mind at all I just hope she doesn't think I'm removing another one. I noticed the egg was laying very low in her belly. I had to pull it up to get it out. I wonder looking at this photo is her uterus is in the wrong place and she is not able to use muscle's to get the egg to the back side of herself. We are playing the waiting game now to see what she can do. We leave town next week for a weeks Thanksgiving vacation so I sure hope she gets this figured out quickly.

Back
Top Bottom