HELP! Egg cracked at 19 days

Farmer2379

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
HELP! My egg cracked on day 19! My Silkie is hatching this egg for me . One week ago this egg has hairline cracks in a circle pattern with some cracks coming off of it like it was bumped by another egg but the cracks never opened up, just hairline. So I put wax on all the cracks and so far the chick inside of still moving around lots. Yesterday I scraped off some of the thicker wax parts so the chick could hatch easier. Today (day 19 of incubation) I found the cracked part had been hit again and opened up, just a piece of shell that got bumped in but as far as I can see the shell did not go through the membrane yet. What do I do? Do I wax the hole again? Can I put the hot wax directly on the membrane to fill the hole or will that hurt the chick? Should I just leave it for the next 2 days and see if it hatches? I can see right now it is still moving inside. Any advice is appreciated please!! I added a picture since I’m not too good at explaining

Attachments

• 0CC3EDC9-774A-4560-BD47-E24C67B7BD67.jpeg
    0CC3EDC9-774A-4560-BD47-E24C67B7BD67.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 66
Hmm, this is a tough one. It's sooo close to hatching I almost think I would leave it since there isn't any blood BUT as a precaution, I think for this crack I would use liquid bandage since it dries quickly, isn't hot, and it's also thin enough that the chick could penetrate it. If you decide to use anything. Just make sure to candle and check that it's not an early pip because you don't want to seal a pip (it does appear to be indented in the image and not pecked outward like a pip though).
I will add, that the 100% foolproof approach for this egg would be to hatch it in an incubator but I'm assuming that isn't an option.
Fingers crossed for a great hatch! I bet you will see some hatching activity soon! My broodies always seem to hatch a little earlier. :D

Hmm, this is a tough one. It's sooo close to hatching I almost think I would leave it since there isn't any blood BUT as a precaution, I think for this crack I would use liquid bandage since it dries quickly, isn't hot, and it's also thin enough that the chick could penetrate it. If you decide to use anything. Just make sure to candle and check that it's not an early pip because you don't want to seal a pip (it does appear to be indented in the image and not pecked outward like a pip though).
I will add, that the 100% foolproof approach for this egg would be to hatch it in an incubator but I'm assuming that isn't an option.
Fingers crossed for a great hatch! I bet you will see some hatching activity soon! My broodies always seem to hatch a little earlier. :D
Hmm I’ve never used liquid bandage I will have to look into that. And yes right now I don’t have an incubator, just my broodies hatching for me😁. This is my first hatch off my silkie hen and this egg just so happens to be the only fertilized one she was setting on, so I’m trying all the more to make sure this one makes it. I’ve only just started hatching eggs this year so I’m quite new to it.

Back
Top Bottom