HELP! (Emergency) Chick dying

Not sure if this will help you but when I had an ill baby chick that wouldn't move, eat or poop (and did not have any sign of pasty butt) I wrapped her in a hand towel and used part of a qtip to feed her water saturated with savachick electrolytes (really, really concentrated) and sugar. I fed her a little bit every 30 minutes or so. In between feedings I warmed her up by blowing a hair dryer on the towel in which she was wrapped. At first she was too weak to complain or squirm. Over a few hours she felt a little stronger/more squirmy and I decided to get some much-needed sleep. When I went to free brooder 5+ hours later I had a little box with me.... Just in case :(..... Thankfully, she made it. I think the liquid gave her just enough sustenance/comfort/whatever to fight off her affliction. I hope your little feathered one is able to recover. Whatever happens, please know that you are doing everything you can including reaching out to this community for help. I wish you the best.
Thank you so much, I gave them some electrolytes last night and they made it through the night! They're still very still, but I did see one pecking in the food a bit which is great news. I'll continue to feed them. I think it might be a respiratory illness (not sure if that's what your chicks had) because they're breathing mainly with their mouths open, and once one got it, the other did too. Hopefully the electrolytes will get them back to normal! I'll keep you updated!

Fingers crossed too!
They made it! I fed them some electrolytes before I went to bed. I'm not sure if that's what saved them, but I'm sure it helped. I saw one of them pecking around in the food a bit, which is a good sign! I'll continue to feed them every so often, and I'll keep you updated. They still do the weird shake of the head and chirp, but other than that, I think they're getting better!

@Weeg @PNWSilkieChick @MGG One of the chicks is acting like there's water in her throat or something, she's constantly looking up and opening her mouth, but the other chick is acting much better. They still haven't eaten or drank anything other than the electrolytes for a bit over a day now. Hopefully they'll come around soon.

Can you feel her throat and see if it feels like there is anything in there? Look down her beak and see if you see something stuck. Does it seem like she is choking, do you have a video? I honestly don think I can help much, but I may be able to give you guidance. Avery

Can you feel her throat and see if it feels like there is anything in there? Look down her beak and see if you see something stuck. Does it seem like she is choking, do you have a video? I honestly don think I can help much, but I may be able to give you guidance. Avery
She's chirping and breathing, and I felt her throat and everything looks fine. She does have a lot of saliva in her mouth though.

One of my baby chicks has been acting weird for about an hour, frantically shaking her head, chirping, and very tired. I think it’s a respiratory illness. She almost died on me, she was very limp and kept opening and closing her mouth and would not move. I held her upside down and gave her a bit of CPR, which brought her back around. Once she came around a bit, this gooey stuff came out of her mouth. I massaged her crop for a bit too. I have another thread about this from earlier: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-baby-chick-is-acting-strange.1417977/#post-23292322
Don't hold birds upside down and blow in their mouth.

Back
Top Bottom