HELP!!!! Exposed membrane and blood vessels!HATCHING CHICK WITH MISSING BOTTOM SHELL!

Pics

WolfGirlMagic

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2017
My last egg in a difficult hatch has been cracked. My dog jumped on the incubator and the egg rolled and cracked completely off where the air cell should be. HOWEVER, this duckling was pipping the complete opposite side of the aircelll , in the wrong position.
And the membrane was extremely hard. There was no way it would have been able to pip on its own. So the cracked off bottom ( a nickle sized hole) has an intact membrane full of blood vessels that bleed a little but thankfully stopped, and at the other end a little beak sticking through.
I wrapped the bottom where the accidental crack is in moist paper towel after applying vassaline to the exposed membrane but idk what else to do! Help!
She is peeping, so I think that is a good sign?
She was not due until the 12th but a sibling that died in shell today looked more than ready to hatch.

I think you did well to use Vaseline and cover the exposed part in a wet towel. Ive only hatched incubated chicks once but if its peeping thats a great sign!! I hope more experienced members log in and help you with this but i think you have done great to stabilize it until they do. Best of luck with your new ones :jumpy

I think you did well to use Vaseline and cover the exposed part in a wet towel. Ive only hatched incubated chicks once but if its peeping thats a great sign!! I hope more experienced members log in and help you with this but i think you have done great to stabilize it until they do. Best of luck with your new ones :jumpy
Thanks so much! I would be so devistated if she died. This is the last surviving egg. All the others made it to lockdown, but died trying to pip.

Picture will help if you can
Okay here is a picture
There is the hole where it's beak is, it could not pip on its own and I had to clear the dry brown membrane so it could breathe.
Then the back where the crack fell off.

Attachments

• IMG_20171110_151030.jpg
    IMG_20171110_151030.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20171110_151034.jpg
    IMG_20171110_151034.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20171110_151037.jpg
    IMG_20171110_151037.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 196

Back