HELP!!!! Exposed membrane and blood vessels!HATCHING CHICK WITH MISSING BOTTOM SHELL!

Pics

WolfGirlMagic

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2017
My last egg in a difficult hatch has been cracked. My dog jumped on the incubator and the egg rolled and cracked completely off where the air cell should be. HOWEVER, this duckling was pipping the complete opposite side of the aircelll , in the wrong position.
And the membrane was extremely hard. There was no way it would have been able to pip on its own. So the cracked off bottom ( a nickle sized hole) has an intact membrane full of blood vessels that bleed a little but thankfully stopped, and at the other end a little beak sticking through.
I wrapped the bottom where the accidental crack is in moist paper towel after applying vassaline to the exposed membrane but idk what else to do! Help!
She is peeping, so I think that is a good sign?
She was not due until the 12th but a sibling that died in shell today looked more than ready to hatch.

You know it's going to be spoiled ;) WVduckchick's advice using a towel to wipe off vaseline sounds good & allowing her/him to preen, keeps him/her busy. HOPE sounds good :weeI like MIRACLE too
Absolutely! ALL of my animals get the royal treatment! Especially such little warriors as this one!
I have decided on Miracle.

Sorry, been a busy day. Is the duckling still doing ok?

I think the pics look fine. The bill is clear, so it can breathe. The other end, I would just keep moist with the Vaseline. You don't need to wrap in a paper towel, that can actually cause a chill as it dries out. you can keep one damp nearby, or a little sponge. Also keep the membrane around the end with the bill hanging out moist with Vaseline, so it doesn't get stuck to its feathers.

As long as you see a "yawning" motion being made by the duckling, that's a good sign, just continue to wait. It's still absorbing the yolk. when it starts to struggle to get out, you may have to gently assist.

Hope its still going well, and good luck!

It's hard to say when to start...but if blood vessels seem to be receding and she's moving and vocalizing more.....I might start chipping away at that shell.

So you have good tools to do so?
I've found a tweezers or very small hemostat work well to grab just tiny bit of shell and break it out. Be careful not to pinch anything inside shell, keep inner part of tool just inside inner surface of shell. Hope that makes sense.

Also do you have a place set up to work on it?
I use a utility lamp on a hinged arm set low to work area to provide warmth.
Line a small dish with warm damp paper towels to put egg in.
A small 'spatula' made out of cardboard or thin plastic is good for daubing vaseline or coconut oil on the exposed membranes.

Hope that helps....Best of cLuck!..or rather Best of DUCKling!

THIS LITTLE GUY LOOK AS CUTE AS A BUTTON?!

Attachments

• IMG_20171112_084021.jpg
    IMG_20171112_084021.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 74
The Vaseline seems to be coming off too! And, just assume we want pictures daily @WolfGirlMagic :hugs
Guys it has been a long while!!! MIRACLE HAS GROWN HUGE! And she is getting her big girl quack already!
But she still thinks she can lay in the palm of my hand... Poor girl!

Attachments

• IMG_20171207_174845.jpg
    IMG_20171207_174845.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20171207_174930.jpg
    IMG_20171207_174930.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 26
Thank you so much! I just woke up to make sure the vassaline was still glistening and moist.
She is still making the beak chewing motion and yawning.
No peeping, but she did peep a little 4 hours ago when I checked the vassaline again.
Hopefully she is just sleepy like I am

It's definitely hard work... let her rest.... man I am so nervous here and it isn't my duck!!! And I don't even have any ducks!!! :lau

Back
Top Bottom