Help eye problem in duck

I'm not really sure if it is or not. I have actually contacted the council to ask. And I had to ask if its illegal for me to remove them to rehome..

So I have gotten so much feedback of people who think that this will heal on its own and that I need to just give it time. And a lot of people have said that surgery is such a risk. Combined with the fact that right now no one is offering a funded surgery so I am going to treat it at home and see how it goes and then reassess. Yes I am giving him all three things that I now have. Fingers crossed!

Make sure the eye stays clean. You can rinse it out twice a day with saline solution (1/2 teaspoons salt - 1 cup distilled/boiled water). You could also mix some apple cider vinegar in with her water(1 tablespoon - 1 gallon water). I agree that her duck buddy would help decrease the stress.

I don't know what's going to happen with the eye if it's busted. But I think your giving him a lot more than anyone else would do. Hopefully he'll recover. Are you planning on Keeping him?

I would love to keep him but I don't have a lot of space and because I'm a wildlife carer there's rules to do with domestic pets. If it was just him I would be more able to keep him, but I don't want him to split from his buddy. If he recovers, I won't be sending him back to the park though, I will make sure they get re-homed to the right place. I do get more attached to him each day though :(

Last edited:
Make sure the eye stays clean. You can rinse it out twice a day with saline solution (1/2 teaspoons salt - 1 cup distilled/boiled water). You could also mix some apple cider vinegar in with her water(1 tablespoon - 1 gallon water). I agree that her duck buddy would help decrease the stress.

What does the apple cider do? Natural antibiotic? The eye seems to be staying clean. I've been putting him in an epsom salt bath for him to rinse it. He doesn't appreciate me holding him to do stuff to the eye, so I'm wondering the best way to rinse it out because it's awkward at best. Perhaps using a syringe?

When I'm not annoying him with the treatments he doesn't seem particularly stressed. They were fairly tame. He's eating, quacking and preening. I see that as a good sign he's hopefully not in too much pain and rather more a bit uncomfortable. If only animals could talk! My only concern with getting the buddy just yet is if it makes him less handleable and harder to do what I need to do treatment wise. And keeping his space as sanitary as possible.

Last edited:
He did get to see/talk to his buddy after the vet! I had to walk past the park with him in the travel basket, so I went in and they both talked to each other it was so sweet. I think the one left at the park was more upset about the whole ordeal. I went back down yesterday to check on him and he is OK, he at least has the pekins to hang with.

I'm worried about the sympathetic blindness thing now.. it says to reduce risk of that happening you need to remove the damaged eye. Although I'm probably outside the "within two weeks window". I can't seem to win.

I guess the risk of going completely blind is better than the risk of dying in surgery... I'm not sure how high the risk of surgery mortality is but any is risk of death is not good.

The eye is still looking the same at this point. I think it's forming a pus plug?

Attachments

• IMG_9286.PNG
    IMG_9286.PNG
    133.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9287.PNG
    IMG_9287.PNG
    107.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom