HELP fire in incubator and brooder room, filled with smoke

Syreis

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2023
I'm new, so I'm hoping I posted this in the right forum. A couple of hours ago our heat lamp caught on fire and exploded, over our 4 newborn chicks. One died, but the other three appear to be fine. I put the fire out as quickly as I could but there was a ton of smoke. I took the chicks out of the room to breathe easier. My question is, are the chicks okay? Is there any way to tell if they have further issues? Also the vent on my incubator was open halfway, will the smoke affect the eggs at all? The incubator was right next to the fire and I could barely see with the smoke.

I'm sorry to hear you went through this!
If the chicks appear okay now, they should make it just fine.
I would make doubly sure they have fresh clean water changed a few times a day for a couple days because they may have smoke residue clearing from their airways for a few days and I've noticed chickens have a tendency to spit into their water.
You did the right thing getting them out of that room asap.
Did you move the incubator as well? I would, and take the top off it for 5 minutes (turn the top upside down) so that fresh air can fully replace whatever may be in there.
The eggs will be fine in low temps for a few minutes, as broody hens often hop off the nest to tend to their necessary business.
I wouldn't put either chicks or incubator back in that room until it's fully, completely aired out.

Holy Moly, sorry you're cleaning up after a heat lamp accident! Sounds like a wild few hours! And 1 loss, a sad day.. your post brought back memories of the time I had a coop fire from a heat lamp that fell onto the woodchips and smoldered till I arrived maybe hours later and I thought "hum strange smell in the air", and I went on my daily routine to check on the girls, and "OH SNAP! Almost a fire!", thank goodness! No deaths, but it was a scare that I learned from. I had to create new ways to secure any heat lamps with an additional fail safe that it will NOT hit the ground, and that it'd swing if flapping craziness ensues in the coop. I believe around that time a possum had snuck into the coop and made a mess.
I've heard of older bulbs exploding, which is a scary thought that it can happen anytime. I may start just using heat pads for next winter on those super cold days instead of lamps. Good luck today.

I'm sorry to hear you went through this!
If the chicks appear okay now, they should make it just fine.
I would make doubly sure they have fresh clean water changed a few times a day for a couple days because they may have smoke residue clearing from their airways for a few days and I've noticed chickens have a tendency to spit into their water.
You did the right thing getting them out of that room asap.
Did you move the incubator as well? I would, and take the top off it for 5 minutes (turn the top upside down) so that fresh air can fully replace whatever may be in there.
The eggs will be fine in low temps for a few minutes, as broody hens often hop off the nest to tend to their necessary business.
I wouldn't put either chicks or incubator back in that room until it's fully, completely aired out.
Thank you so much! I have not moved the incubator, wasn't sure if the eggs would be fine with no heat...I will do what you said right now though! Thankfully it seems like the chicks will make it, since they're chirping and hopping around!

Holy Moly, sorry you're cleaning up after a heat lamp accident! Sounds like a wild few hours! And 1 loss, a sad day.. your post brought back memories of the time I had a coop fire from a heat lamp that fell onto the woodchips and smoldered till I arrived maybe hours later and I thought "hum strange smell in the air", and I went on my daily routine to check on the girls, and "OH SNAP! Almost a fire!", thank goodness! No deaths, but it was a scare that I learned from. I had to create new ways to secure any heat lamps with an additional fail safe that it will NOT hit the ground, and that it'd swing if flapping craziness ensues in the coop. I believe around that time a possum had snuck into the coop and made a mess.
I've heard of older bulbs exploding, which is a scary thought that it can happen anytime. I may start just using heat pads for next winter on those super cold days instead of lamps. Good luck today.
Thank you for the luck and message and yeah its been a very crazy couple of hours lol. I'm very glad that your girls were okay! I think I'll move to heating tables/brooders now...I got one for another batch of chicks a week ago and it seems to work well. Knowing you had a similar experience definitely does not make me want another heat lamp haha.

That might have been too big of wattage for you brooder or where you had it plugged in that caused

You should use 125 watt heat lamp vs the 250 watt lamp. That's way too hot for indoor use.
Oh my God, I wish I had known...my dad bought it and always used it outside before, it didn't even occur to me..

Back
Top Bottom