Help for Miss Buff please...

JD McGee

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Duvall, WA
I have been treating what looks like raw hamburger meat on one of our Buffs for a few days now with Blu-Kote with no positive results. Any ideas what this may be?

Can you post a closer up photo?

You describe it looking like "raw hamburger meat". Was she wounded, does she have bleeding, oozing, is it her vent, underneath the vent?

I will have to wait for the Blu-Kote to wear off before taking another pic...I snapped this one before applying more. She was not injured that I am aware of. The area is red and raw with white pustules that look like grains of rice...kinda bumpy.

I will have to wait for the Blu-Kote to wear off before taking another pic...I snapped this one before applying more. She was not injured that I am aware of. The area is red and raw with white pustules that look like grains of rice...kinda bumpy.
Is it where her feathers may be trying to grow back in?

You can give her a soak in a warm bath with epsom salts or betadine added to the water. The Blue Kote is fine to help prevent picking, but you may want to apply some vetericyn or neosporin if you have it as well.

Sometimes laying hens lose feathers around the bum or may have a bit of poop that gets on there and it's looks red/irritated keep an eye on it to make sure there is no infection starting.
Offer her some vitamins in her water like Poultry Nutri-Drench and give some extra protein for feather growth (egg, tuna, mackerel, etc.)

Thanks...we have some Neosporin...I will treat it today. My wife has been giving her plain yougurt with meal worms as well...kind of a weird combo but she loves it...as do the others. :)

Back
Top Bottom