HELP FOR PRIZE ROOSTER

Pics

Diamondpfarm

Chirping
Nov 11, 2019
Our prize winning Jersey Giant Rooster has been quite sick. It started a week ago with him just having a weak crow. Then he began gasping and shaking his head. He developed a cough/sneeze the next day.

We have given him Tylan 50 and VetRx and neither seem to be working. He is breathing very labored but is walking around and acting somewhat normal.

We finally brought him in and put him in a room where eee could see if he was eating and drinking. He’s not doing much of either.

We have given him Nutradrench yesterday and today but he’s just really congested..

Anyone who can HELP US?? We’ve followed everything a vet has offered. It is NOT gapeworm. I have a video of him from 3 days ago:

His poop is normal but he looks horrible. He’s only 13 months old and weighs 10 lbs.
HELP????

He sounds like he has a respiratory disease with the cough or sneeze, congestion, and it looks like his right eyelid is swollen with eye drainage. Any bacteria, virus, or fungal respiratory disease can cause yellow or whitish plaques inside the trachea. But I think that it could be a foreign body, a piece of food, or possibly a growth as well. Hopefully the Tylan will help. Tylan dosage is around 12 mg per pound given 3 times a day. You can give injectable Tylan orally, by the way, especially since the injectable can cause muscle necrosis at the injection site. There is also tylosin powder that cannbe used in the drinking water available here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Does he have a bad odor coming from his beak? Can you look inside his beak with a flashlight while someone holds his head still for any cankers or tissue that should not be there?

Last edited:
Well Big Boy has had 2 doses of Doxycycline and is getting a 3rd in the morning. He is not eating or drinking much but has been taking Electrolytes and Some mash with Starter Food from a syringe by mouth. He is still having breathing issues but is actually a little more relaxed and resting today.... praying he continues to improve and will get an appetite to eat and drink soon. Thanks for everyone’s prayers!!

Thanks for EVERYONES Help!! We have a new medicine and it is a respiratory infection. Hopefully some TLC and this medicine will get him back to his spunky self soon. I’ll keep everyone posted on him!!! Sir Big Boy is resting now inside our spare room on a cozy blanket.....

What medication did you get? Doxycycline can be used to treat MG and other respiratory infections. It is in the tetracycline family. Oxytetracycline can be used as well.

Since MG can be a chronic disease, possibly coming back later, it might be good to get some of the Tylan (tylosin) powder from here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Dosage is 1 tsp (5 grams) per gallon of water for 5 days. Water should always be added to the powder, not the other way, or it will not mix well. Mix new every 3 days.

Hi all-
Big Boy did actually have a Respiratory Infection but he actually died from a heart attack. They said his breed was hard to treat because they are sedentary when they are sick and they usually do die from heart failure vs the infection. Thanks for everyone’s condolences!! We are still missing him but have buried him here on the farm on the hill overlooking the chicken coop..

Yes a vet at the NC State Agriculture Dept watched the video. We have no Vet close. I just posted a video from today to show the difference. She suggested giving the Tylan injections and I’ve done that since Friday.
Good advice from @Eggcessive

NC also have 4 state labs - Raleigh, Monroe, Elkin and Fletcher/Arden, you might want to contact them to see if they can do some testing to find the cause. Ask them if they can accept swabs to test for Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis and ILT. http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/
Since he is a show rooster, I would not show him again until you find out more information since most respiratory diseases make birds carriers for life - you don't want to contribute to the spread of disease.

One more thing, if you haven't done so, I would definitely take a look inside the beak for any lesions, white/yellow patches, etc.

I'm sorry he is not well, he's beautiful. I hope he starts to get better soon.

Back
Top Bottom