Help four cockerels only one in the coup

Andyxix

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2021
Hi I have just started with a new flock I purchased a single buff Orpington cockerel and then a day later was able to purchase ten Warren x hens all was good. About a month later I was given the opportunity to have three free buff Orpington cockerels which we collected them and on there arrival they had been brought up together so stuck together in the run. They would not enter the coup so we built a second coup for them and yes you guessed it they wouldn’t enter this one either I am really bothrededabout them as it’s been very cold and the three roosters are gargling as if they have a cold how do I can not get them to stay in a coup and what do

Hi I have just started with a new flock I purchased a single buff Orpington cockerel and then a day later was able to purchase ten Warren x hens all was good. About a month later I was given the opportunity to have three free buff Orpington cockerels which we collected them and on there arrival they had been brought up together so stuck together in the run. They would not enter the coup so we built a second coup for them and yes you guessed it they wouldn’t enter this one either I am really bothrededabout them as it’s been very cold and the three roosters are gargling as if they have a cold how do I can not get them to stay in a coup and how do I stop them for rosting on a pallet in the run .

Hi I have just started with a new flock I purchased a single buff Orpington cockerel and then a day later was able to purchase ten Warren x hens all was good. About a month later I was given the opportunity to have three free buff Orpington cockerels which we collected them and on there arrival they had been brought up together so stuck together in the run. They would not enter the coup so we built a second coup for them and yes you guessed it they wouldn’t enter this one either I am really bothrededabout them as it’s been very cold and the three roosters are gargling as if they have a cold how do I can not get them to stay in a coup and what do
It sounds like you did not quarantine the three boys. And it sounds like they have a respiratory disease. And it is most probable your flock is now infected.
Birds do not get colds like humans do.
The three boys will not enter the main coop because of the resident cockerel.
You now have three too many cockerels in your flock.
Four males with ten hens is a nightmare waiting to happen. The girls will be overbred and stressed with that much attention and the boys are going to fight eventually. Hormones will win out over brotherly love any time. Sons kill fathers, fathers kill sons and brothers kill brothers in the war to pass on their genes.
You should seriously consider culling the three sick boys ASAP and hope that your original flock hasn't already been infected.

Hi I have just started with a new flock I purchased a single buff Orpington cockerel and then a day later was able to purchase ten Warren x hens all was good. About a month later I was given the opportunity to have three free buff Orpington cockerels which we collected them and on there arrival they had been brought up together so stuck together in the run. They would not enter the coup so we built a second coup for them and yes you guessed it they wouldn’t enter this one either I am really bothrededabout them as it’s been very cold and the three roosters are gargling as if they have a cold how do I can not get them to stay in a coup and how do I stop them for rosting on a pallet in the run .
Send one to me! I’ve got 9 hens that would love a guy around. lol 😆 I want a rooster but don’t want to buy 10 chicks just for a rooster! Probably end up with several rooster and that I do Not want...

Back
Top Bottom