HELP!!!!! Gosling down, & throwing up!!! Update.. He died only a few minutes after I put this post u

PAchickenlover

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
York
Help I just got two goslings yesterday and now the one can't stane on his feet, is breathing heavy, and is throwing up all liquids I try to give. I have no idea what happened. Could it be stress related from traveling? Or might he have eaten a poisonous plant outside? Any thoughts and or idea's are appreciated....
Mollie

Last edited:
I don't know much about the different ailments geese can have, but my first thought was that the gosling may have gotten into something poisonous. Are there any other symptoms? Is he convulsing at all? Is there a chance he could have gotten into some snail bait or something similar? This just seems like a reaction to something other than stress.

No snail bait used around our house. Or any other poisons, due to animals. He is shaking, well kind of shivering. I noticed him doing that lastnight though. I just brought them home last night. They went from their travel cage to my "sick pen" (where I put all new birds to our property for a little while) he was wobbily this morning when I let him and his brother out for a little free-range time. I thought he was just scared. Obviously I was wrong. The other gosling is fine, on his feet, chirping, and wanting attention. I have no idea what this one gosling could have gotten in to that the otherone didn't. I have been trying to give him water with nutridrench in it and Ithought of putting some tetracycline in the water also. Any guesses? I'm stumped.....Thanks

Hmm, okay, so no snail bait is good. You mentioned that you were worried he could have eaten some kind of poisonous plant. Do you have any foxglove where he could get it? Tomato plants? Potatoes? The leaves on the latter two are toxic.

Post #6 in this thread has a link to a list of plants that are toxic to geese:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/53177/poisonous-plants-for-geese

If he didn't eat anything toxic, I wonder if it's something he was exposed to at the last place he was living. Perhaps he got into something there or is sick?

Perhaps, I will never know, now..
barnie.gif
He died only a few minutes after I put this post up.
hit.gif
It all happened so fast. The other gosling seems fine but I will keep a close watch over him tonight. Thanks for trying and for the link.
Mollie

I can guarantee you that he was NOT sick at the previous place! All of my waterfowl are fine and healthy. Did she mention that this is the second gosling that has died in her care in the last several weeks?? That little gosling was perfectly fine yesterday along with his brother. I should have gone with my gut instinct and brought them both back home with me yesterday. Unfortunately, hindsight is 20/20.

I do remember her saying that she bought some Pea's at the market and gave them to the goslings... I have no idea what other thing it could be. We have had Sophie, our Cotten Patch Gosling for several weeks now she is growing normally and is perfectly healthy! I know there is nothing in my coop that could have gotten the gosling sick. And I want to state that the other one is perfectly fine! He is showing no signs or symptoms that the other one did. Which you would think it would if it was something that we did wrong. I am very sad that the other one died but these things happen sometimes and you are left clueless.. I tried everything I could to save him and that is all I as a human could do.
sad.png

I'm not here to cause conflict at all. I know PACHICKENLOVER and with that being said I know that she takes good care of her pets. Sometimes things happen that are not in our control. Maybe, just maybe the gosling had a internal birth defect and it was the stress from the move and the new surroundings that caused it to flare up and cause his unfortunate demise. We won't know what happened to him, and it's sad and I know that Mollie was heart broken when the poor guy passed.

I can guarantee you that he was NOT sick at the previous place! All of my waterfowl are fine and healthy. Did she mention that this is the second gosling that has died in her care in the last several weeks?? That little gosling was perfectly fine yesterday along with his brother. I should have gone with my gut instinct and brought them both back home with me yesterday. Unfortunately, hindsight is 20/20.

Hey, my apologies. My intention was not to accuse or offend anyone. I'd just like to help the OP however I can with figuring why this happened. If it helps her to avoid future losses, then it's worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom