Lifeless Chicken. Please help!!

allye

Hatching
Jul 19, 2023
I found one of my chickens (Amelia is her name) basically just sleeping in the middle of the day and woke up for a second but couldn’t care less that I was right beside her (they all usually try to run from me at first). I picked her up, which woke her up, and within seconds she was asleep in my arms. My first thought; heat exhaustion (avg. 90 degrees here). We just had another chicken die of this a few days before, so I had already done some reading up on what to do if I spot it before they die.

I ran Amelia to the house and gave her some water. Her comb was finally getting a little red (it had been very pale) and she seemed to be feeling much better, but she was so tired. She kept falling asleep but was much better than when she was outside in the heat - much more alert and would stay awake for minutes at a time. She stayed inside for at least 2 hours with us but we had to leave, so I put her back in the coop. At this time, it was getting dark and about 80 degrees outside so I felt she would be fine. When I went to check on them this morning, she moved about 8” from where I put her originally and she had developed wry neck.

I took her back inside the house. At this time, she was standing on her feet no big deal, just twisting her neck. Went to the store and purchased a supplement that the feed store said would help with her deficiencies that is causing wry neck - gave her 2 big gulps of it like they said she needed asap. When I got home from work a few hours later, she was laying out on the floor (I thought she was dead) on her side. She was still alive but now she can’t stand up, she has only opened her eyes once and I was only for a second. She will swallow the drops of water I give her from the syringe, but it also seems like she throws a little bit up too. She is literally limp. She’s breathing but that’s it. I have to hold her head up, open her mouth, and give her drops. She doesn’t open her eyes.

I can’t give up on her! But she hasn’t eaten anything since about 5pm yesterday (it’s 11:40pm right now). I try to give her water soaked feed, but it’s not much at all. She has swallowed a little and seemed to keep it down, but I just don’t know what to do or if this is basically the last thing that happens before they die.

Please help!
IMG_3446.jpeg

Oh my goodness, poor girl!

I do think this is from the heat.
You need to get some sugar water into her asap, mix 1 tspn of sugar into 1 cup of warm water, and get as much of it in her as you can.
For the wry neck, give her vitamin E 400IU, 1/3 of a B complex tablet, and eggs for selenium, give all that once a day.
Keep trying to get some food into her.

Hope she pulls through!

You need to get some sugar water into her asap, mix 1 tspn of sugar into 1 cup of warm water, and get as much of it in her as you can.
For the wry neck, give her vitamin E 400IU, 1/3 of a B complex tablet, and eggs for selenium, give all that once a day.

Hope she pulls through!

Hope she pulls through!
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I think we were just too late. She died this morning while I was trying to give her a a little more of the supplements in water. She was worse than she was last night.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I think we were just too late. She died this morning while I was trying to give her a a little more of the supplements in water. She was worse than she was last night.
Oh no, I'm so so sorry. :hugs:hugs

Now I'd just make sure the rest of your flock can get through this heat, so nothing like this happens again.

My first thought; heat exhaustion (avg. 90 degrees here). We just had another chicken die of this a few days before
Sorry for your loss. :(

90 doesn't seem that hot to cause 2 losses.. are you sure there isn't something more going on?

Consider refrigerating her and sending to your state vet for a necropsy and maybe some answers.. contact info should be in the following link..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for your loss. :(

90 doesn't seem that hot to cause 2 losses.. are you sure there isn't something more going on?

Consider refrigerating her and sending to your state vet for a necropsy and maybe some answers.. contact info should be in the following link..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Agreed. My chickens are out all the time in 90+ degree weather and do just fine with little to no intervention from me aside form making sure they have fresh water.

Your poor bird was just beautiful and I'm so sorry for your loss:hugs

We just lost a favorite ourselves and sent her for necropsy. The results provided a lot of relief to our family. I highly recommend going through this process as you can learn a lot from it. It will also tell you if additional steps are needed for the rest of your flock.

Wishing you and your flock the best in the heat wave.

I found one of my chickens (Amelia is her name) basically just sleeping in the middle of the day and woke up for a second but couldn’t care less that I was right beside her (they all usually try to run from me at first). I picked her up, which woke her up, and within seconds she was asleep in my arms. My first thought; heat exhaustion (avg. 90 degrees here). We just had another chicken die of this a few days before, so I had already done some reading up on what to do if I spot it before they die.

I ran Amelia to the house and gave her some water. Her comb was finally getting a little red (it had been very pale) and she seemed to be feeling much better, but she was so tired. She kept falling asleep but was much better than when she was outside in the heat - much more alert and would stay awake for minutes at a time. She stayed inside for at least 2 hours with us but we had to leave, so I put her back in the coop. At this time, it was getting dark and about 80 degrees outside so I felt she would be fine. When I went to check on them this morning, she moved about 8” from where I put her originally and she had developed wry neck.

I took her back inside the house. At this time, she was standing on her feet no big deal, just twisting her neck. Went to the store and purchased a supplement that the feed store said would help with her deficiencies that is causing wry neck - gave her 2 big gulps of it like they said she needed asap. When I got home from work a few hours later, she was laying out on the floor (I thought she was dead) on her side. She was still alive but now she can’t stand up, she has only opened her eyes once and I was only for a second. She will swallow the drops of water I give her from the syringe, but it also seems like she throws a little bit up too. She is literally limp. She’s breathing but that’s it. I have to hold her head up, open her mouth, and give her drops. She doesn’t open her eyes.

I can’t give up on her! But she hasn’t eaten anything since about 5pm yesterday (it’s 11:40pm right now). I try to give her water soaked feed, but it’s not much at all. She has swallowed a little and seemed to keep it down, but I just don’t know what to do or if this is basically the last thing that happens before they die.

Please help!View attachment 3582794
The vitamin E and sugar water sound like really good advise. Another thing I'd try is to soak her in some luke warm water with Epsom salts (10-20 mins.). It seems to revive listless birds sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom