HELP. Hatching ducklings, when should I help?

Thank you for all of the help! How would I tell if the duck is actually trapped once the blood veins recede and needs help? Or if it is stuck to the membrane?
Well, watch for yawning motions. It looks a bit like chewing. I don't know why, but they always do that when there's still yolk. Don't do anything until they stop yawning. Once you notice the veins are all gone, assist a bit more, very carefully chip away more shell. If you see any blood, stop and wait a few more hours. Keep humidity up. There's not much you can do until ot absorbs everything. Have you read this article?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Well, watch for yawning motions. It looks a bit like chewing. I don't know why, but they always do that when there's still yolk. Don't do anything until they stop yawning. Once you notice the veins are all gone, assist a bit more, very carefully chip away more shell. If you see any blood, stop and wait a few more hours. Keep humidity up. There's not much you can do until ot absorbs everything. Have you read this article?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Thank you for all of the advice! It has been helpful talking to someone about this. I just finished reading that article, answered a lot of my questions too. On a positive note, this is the first one that hatched and it is doing great!

Attachments

• 60926060507__64DF0981-CBF9-4A5C-ABBB-9E0C1A7F53C0.JPG
    60926060507__64DF0981-CBF9-4A5C-ABBB-9E0C1A7F53C0.JPG
    626.7 KB · Views: 4
Thank you for all of the advice! It has been helpful talking to someone about this. I just finished reading that article, answered a lot of my questions too. On a positive note, this is the first one that hatched and it is doing great!
Aw! You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

Aw! You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.
Update for anyone who comes across the post. I did exactly what was said above and a few hours later the duck who I thought had too much liquid in it came out perfectly fine! It did not need anymore help.

Attachments

• 0CA8A984-8D0E-4BA3-97DA-7DE6EB5D5E9B.jpeg
    0CA8A984-8D0E-4BA3-97DA-7DE6EB5D5E9B.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 4
Update for anyone who comes across the post. I did exactly what was said above and a few hours later the duck who I thought had too much liquid in it came out perfectly fine! It did not need anymore help.
Awesome! Great job! What a cute little baby. Thanks for updating!

Back
Top Bottom