Help!!!! Head pecked to bone

Melissa67137

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
South east/south central Kansas
First time chick Mom, so I am clueless and need all advice I can get......

One of my 6 to 7 week old Aruacauna chicks was found pecked to the bone on her head about 30 minutes ago. The other baby was hiding in nest box. Don't know if the other baby did it or the old hen.

Can she be saved????
What do I need to do????
Heading to get vetricine now and have her in house in pet crate. Seperated other chick from the old hen out in run just in case.

Seems odd as they have been together since day 1 and nesting together at night with no issues until this.

Attachments

• 20220413_130542.jpg
    20220413_130542.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220413_130537.jpg
    20220413_130537.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 14
Chickens are very resilient, you'd be surprised what injuries and wounds they can overcome.
I would start by separating her and treating for shock. Give her sugar and electrolyte water, Nutrit-Drench works too. If you don't have any of that, Gatorade works well to treat for shock. Separate her in a dog crate lined with puppy pads or a towel. Bring her inside to a calm room were she can recooperate.
Once she's recovered from shock, flush the wound with saline solution, chlorhexadine, or warm soapy water. You can also make your own saline solution.
Then cover the wound in a thick layer of Neosporin with out pain relief.

Chickens are very resilient, you'd be surprised what injuries and wounds they can overcome.
I would start by separating her and treating for shock. Give her sugar and electrolyte water, Nutrit-Drench works too. If you don't have any of that, Gatorade works well to treat for shock. Separate her in a dog crate lined with puppy pads or a towel. Bring her inside to a calm room were she can recooperate.
Once she's recovered from shock, flush the wound with saline solution, chlorhexadine, or warm soapy water. You can also make your own saline solution.
Thank you for replying. This is my first chicken wound since I started keeping chickens almost 12 months ago.

I got vetricine plus spray and drenched her head in that. I tried bringing her inside but my dogs and cat wouldn't quit trying to get to her crate....soo I fixed up a wire infirmary cage(old xl dog crate) in the run for just her and fixed a pallet leanto type barricade next to the wire infirmary pen for the other baby to hide from the old hen yet still be close to the hurt baby. Hurt baby is eating and I did give it warm electrolyte & probiotic water to drink.

Time will tell if she pulls through. I have named her Gladys!!!!

Thank you for replying. This is my first chicken wound since I started keeping chickens almost 12 months ago.

I got vetricine plus spray and drenched her head in that. I tried bringing her inside but my dogs and cat wouldn't quit trying to get to her crate....soo I fixed up a wire infirmary cage(old xl dog crate) in the run for just her and fixed a pallet leanto type barricade next to the wire infirmary pen for the other baby to hide from the old hen yet still be close to the hurt baby. Hurt baby is eating and I did give it warm electrolyte & probiotic water to drink.

Time will tell if she pulls through. I have named her Gladys!!!!
You came to the right place for your fist injury. ;)
Nice work Veterycin is great for flushing wounds, definitely apply a layer of Neosporin as well. Electrolytes are good, give her sugar water until she recovers from shock.

Looks like advice has already been given on the wound.

I had a friend whose 8 chickens picked on just 1, the chicken always hid in nesting box and would be coward down in a corner if she did get out. Bullying and bleeding. She tried everything to get the chickens to stop picking on her. She finally left her out of the coop while the others were in (even at night). That one found a place to roost at night/ lay eggs and was finally a happy chicken! Even when she would let the others into the yard, this one would hang out by herself. I know that is a LAST resort option for all chickens because of the threat of predators and we are also in the south not a lot of threat for frostbite.

Thought I would update you since you gave me the treatment advice.....Gladys is doing great and healed up for the most part and is back to being in the run with the old hen.

Attachments

• 20220429_100750_HDR.jpg
    20220429_100750_HDR.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220429_100746.jpg
    20220429_100746.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom