I know nothing about reptile lamps. For chicks and ducklings most people use a regular heat lamp. Just be sure to get a thermometer too and that his pen is big enough so that he can get away from the heat if he gets too hot. It's not hard; if he's right under the lamp shivering then you need to lower it. If he's sitting far away from the light he's too hot. :)
Good luck!

I know nothing about reptile lamps. For chicks and ducklings most people use a regular heat lamp. Just be sure to get a thermometer too and that his pen is big enough so that he can get away from the heat if he gets too hot. It's not hard; if he's right under the lamp shivering then you need to lower it. If he's sitting far away from the light he's too hot. :)
Good luck!
I agree. The lamp type shouldn’t matter a whole lot. If the duckling starts panting, it’s too close and hot. If it’s huddled up, it’s too far away and cold.

I would definitely try making a mash with its feed. Take chick or gamebird crumbles and add water. I make it to a soupy oatmeal texture. If I see a duckling sitting down a lot and sleeping/squinting eyes, I’ve added sugar to the feed to entice them to eat more. When I don’t, they have died. I would also keep adding electrolytes to the water.

If it’s really active, chirping, eating, drinking, and pooping like crazy duckling, you have a healthy little fella/gal!

The only heat lamps I can get quickly are for reptiles, is that ok or do I need to order one for chicks? If he does need a chick one, what can I do instead while I wait for it to arrive?

Thank you! I can also get a normal heat lamp within the hour. Do you think that would work?

Either will work, the reptile ones are just smaller diameter hoods, which is just fine for a single duckling... reptile ones usually have a dimmer switch built in too...

Regular light bulb will work if you don't have anything else... make sure he is warm before he eats, eating when cold can cause issues too... Niacin asap, or brewer's yeast/nutritional yeast, NOT baking yeast, for his food...

@Ravynscroft @Miss Lydia @WVduckchick
I agree with the above, need heat and niacin. I just used a 100 watt bulb in the heat lamp thingy. . don't know what ya call it. I adjusted the height of it to where it kept the temp where I wanted it.

It's called a heat lamp, lol... :D ;)

The bulb is a bulb... :p

Either will work, the reptile ones are just smaller diameter hoods, which is just fine for a single duckling... reptile ones usually have a dimmer switch built in too...

Regular light bulb will work if you don't have anything else... make sure he is warm before he eats, eating when cold can cause issues too... Niacin asap, or brewer's yeast/nutritional yeast, NOT baking yeast, for his food...

It's called a heat lamp, lol... :D ;)

The bulb is a bulb... :p
Thanks . I'm too tired to think :gig

Thank you all for your help!!

Frantic shopping and several strange looks later, SUCCESS!! I got him a heat lamp, a new teddy which as you can see he loves, a heating pad and tiny Christmas tree decoration because even ducks deserve to have a tree haha.

62791039-4026-434B-A4AB-8D9985B62549.jpeg 249F8782-A799-41A7-9F14-55D59F83E62A.jpeg B90E61AF-8C32-45BB-8536-B5E41483ABDF.jpeg

He actually got up and waddled over to his lids/bowls to eat and drink before waddling back to bed.

I couldn’t find niacin or nutritional yeast ANYWHERE in the supermarket but I’ll try some health food stores a little later. Is there a certain temperature his little box needs to be or do I just have to find what he likes? I added a picture of the thermometer and his box set up. If anything looks wrong please don’t hesitate to tell me!

Things in his box:
Heat Pad
Hot heat bag
Heat lamp
Big dog teddy
2 tiger teddies under the shade
Dog teddy
Christmas tree toy
Lid with water + electrolytes
Lid with mushy peas, chick crumbles and sugar
Bedding (Including a little duck hot water bottle cover EDIT: I took this out so that he would have more space)
Thermometer

EDIT: I looked at the link that Ravynscroft commented and I've changed two things: The size of his water lid. It's now only the size of his head.
I've also moved the heat lamp closer so that his box is 30 degrees (86 Fahrenheit)

Last edited:
You can also look for flush free vitamin b3. It’s the same thing as niacin just different naming but it needs to be flush free. I can buy niacin in the vitamin section at Walmart.

I can’t see the pictures that well but if it’s just a few days old the temp should be around 85-90F I believe. But I just normally base mine off of their behavior as mentioned above rather than a specific number.

Back
Top Bottom