Help, hen having a hard time swallowing!

Kalik11

Chirping
6 Years
May 24, 2017
One of my hens is having a hard time swallowing! She is still trying to eat and drink. When she is eating, her food just sits in and around her beak. When she lowers her head to get more it just falls out with what looks like saliva? She tries to stretch her neck to get it to go down. Same with water. I’ve looked in her throat, looks normal. I put apple cider vinegar in her water. Have given her some olive oil Incase something may be stuck in her crop. She is laying eggs normally. I have felt her crop and don’t feel anything abnormal. I have her secluded from the others. Anybody know what may be going on?

Do you see any yellow or greyish patches or cankers inside the beak? She could have an impacted crop or have something stuck in her throat. What do you feed and do you provide granite grit to help with digestion? Can you feel her crop now, and describe what it feels like? If she has an impacted crop, offer her lots of water. If you have any coconut oil, you can cool in in the freezer for a few minutes, and offer some pieces for her to peck at (up to 1 tsp.) Massaging the crop upward may be helpful.

upload_2019-4-5_16-8-25.jpeg

Do you see any yellow or greyish patches or cankers inside the beak? She could have an impacted crop or have something stuck in her throat. What do you feed and do you provide granite grit to help with digestion? Can you feel her crop now, and describe what it feels like? If she has an impacted crop, offer her lots of water. If you have any coconut oil, you can cool in in the freezer for a few minutes, and offer some pieces for her to peck at (up to 1 tsp.) Massaging the crop upward may be helpful.

View attachment 1727300
Thanks for your reply. Everything looks normal when I open her beak except when I open her mouth she has some ropy saliva. They eat dumor organic crumbles and they have oyster shells and granite mixed in. We also save their own egg shells and crumble those in their feed. Her crop feels soft a squishy although when I just felt it and massaged it upwards I could hear a gurgling noise. I may try the coconut oil as well.

Back
Top Bottom