Help! Hen Pecked Open Egg On Hatch Day!

strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
I have a broody hen named Misty who is sitting on a clutch of 14 eggs, all due to hatch over the rest of this week. I thought I had secured her in a cage in the coop, but no. Some other hen got into her cage and pecked a hole in one of the chicks aircells. The chick is still alive(visible breathing) but there are to many blood vessels surrounding it. I've secured the broodies cage, but does anyone know what I should do? The hen that pecked Misty's egg has been known to egg eat, but it's upsetting nonetheless.I don't have an incubator, but I am worried that Misty's claws will hurt the chick, as the membrane is visible. This egg is the one that I set first(day 21 is today for it) and I'm really beating myself up for not securing the cage... I have a really busy day today, and am going to be at my older Sister's house from Friday until the evening on Saturday.

What do I do about this? None of the other eggs have pipped, and none are making noise. Please help...

Your broody will either destroy the egg or sit. Since today is Day 21, it may just be fine. Unfortunately, it’s going to be a “wait and see”.....Here’s hoping for a successful hatch! :fl

Your broody will either destroy the egg or sit. Since today is Day 21, it may just be fine. Unfortunately, it’s going to be a “wait and see”.....Here’s hoping for a successful hatch! :fl

Darn. I'm out at the moment getting chick crumbles and my brother just messaged and told me there is a dead chick in her nest :( RIP little one. He sent me a picture and the baby is tiny! When I candled on day 14 the aircell was vertical, and taking up half of the egg. Well that really stinks, poor baby. Hoping the rest will make it. My brother moved her to a small rabbit hutch where she can sit privately. He sent me a pic of her and she has settled down well.
Hoping the rest will be fine....

Good news everyone! We have the first chick! Bad news is that I'm leaving to visit my sister today, and won't be back until saturday. Hoping that my brother will do a good job of caring for them. I will post pictures when I find the video camera, the baby is so precious!

I would say get an incubator, but its a little late. hope everything goes smoothly!

Back
Top Bottom