HELP! How do I introduce this chicken to the flock??

WalnutTree

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
WA Seattle
So recently I came across a craigslist add for a 1 1/2 month old hen mislabeled as a cornish cross at TS (like that's new lol). My plan is to take her in as her sisters have all been taken and the persons flock is not accepting her.
(She is the small one in the middle)
30720.jpeg

My flock is currently about 4 months old, and I was wondering how I could integrate her into my flock? I would be picking the pullet up on Saturday.
I was thinking about keeping her in the old chick brooder until nighttime (to check her health and moniter her) and then setting her on the roost while the others sleep?

Sunday is also a free day for me so i would be able to keep an eye on them all day. If i buy treats and do things to keep them busy, do you think this would work?

A single bird addition into an established flock is the most difficult one to do. Everyone knows she is a stranger, and all will peck at her and attack to keep her low in the pecking order.

A lot depends on your set up, how much space do you have? If you are currently the least bit crowded, adding more is harder. Measure and take pictures. Is there hideouts? Multiple feed bowls placed so that a bird eating at one, is not visible to a bird eating at another.

What I would suggest:
  • Let your flock out of the run/coop into your yard. Lock the new bird in the coop/run, this will allow her to explore the set up without getting chased.
  • Feed along the fence line - so they are eating together but separate.
  • At night separate the new bird from the flock.
  • After 2-3 days of this, let everyone out into the big yard
    • if there are a few scuffles and it settles down, leave it
    • if you have a really mean bird that is relentless, put HER in the brooder, leaving the new bird with the rest.
  • if they are all still mean to her try this:
    • put one middle bird in the coop/run with her. There will be a scuffle, but that is one on one. It should soon settle - do this for a couple of days
    • then add one more - that should settle quickly - leaving out the meanest ones.
    • add a mean one, one at a time, wait a day or two in between.
It can be done, but it is not easy. Adding a single bird in the dark to the flock might work, but if it doesn't, it is apt to be a wreck. Chicken behavior can be incredibly mean.

Mrs K

A single bird addition into an established flock is the most difficult one to do. Everyone knows she is a stranger, and all will peck at her and attack to keep her low in the pecking order.

A lot depends on your set up, how much space do you have? If you are currently the least bit crowded, adding more is harder. Measure and take pictures. Is there hideouts? Multiple feed bowls placed so that a bird eating at one, is not visible to a bird eating at another.

What I would suggest:
  • Let your flock out of the run/coop into your yard. Lock the new bird in the coop/run, this will allow her to explore the set up without getting chased.
  • Feed along the fence line - so they are eating together but separate.
  • At night separate the new bird from the flock.
  • After 2-3 days of this, let everyone out into the big yard
    • if there are a few scuffles and it settles down, leave it
    • if you have a really mean bird that is relentless, put HER in the brooder, leaving the new bird with the rest.
  • if they are all still mean to her try this:
    • put one middle bird in the coop/run with her. There will be a scuffle, but that is one on one. It should soon settle - do this for a couple of days
    • then add one more - that should settle quickly - leaving out the meanest ones.
    • add a mean one, one at a time, wait a day or two in between.
It can be done, but it is not easy. Adding a single bird in the dark to the flock might work, but if it doesn't, it is apt to be a wreck. Chicken behavior can be incredibly mean.

Mrs K
Thank you this is just what I wanted! I'll try that feed plan in the daytime, and sneak her inside at night. Sunday I'll spend as much time as I can out there and moniter them. I would like her integrated asap, so this will be my plan. If some of my chickens start to bully her, I'll just kick them out till they chill.
I specifically chose docile breeds but I know to expect the unexpected. Thank you so much for the response!! This idea is genius and I'll definitely be trying that!:clap

I'll try that feed plan in the daytime, and sneak her inside at night. Sunday I'll spend as much time as I can out there and moniter them. I would like her integrated asap, so this will be my plan.
It's likely going to take longer than a day or two.

A lot depends on your set up, how much space do you have? If you are currently the least bit crowded, adding more is harder. Measure and take pictures.
Important questions need to be answered.

This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

As might these tips about....
Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I was thinking about keeping her in the old chick brooder until nighttime (to check her health and moniter her) and then setting her on the roost while the others sleep?
Sometimes these things go so well you wonder what al the worry was about, sometimes it ends in disaster. You just don't know until you try. I also strongly believe the more room you have the better your chances. That room is inside the coop and outside when they have access to outside. There is nothing wrong with trying it this way, but I'd want the coop dark enough at night so the others can't beat her up and I'd be down there at the crack of dawn to see how it is going until I'm comfortable she will be OK.

Don't be surprised if she is not cuddling up to the others and joining in all their fun. When I integrate young ones they almost always avoid the older ones. If they invade their personal space they are likely to get pecked so the quickly learn to stay away. When I go down to the coop in the morning to let then out I typically find my juveniles on the roosts while the adults are on the coop floor. The juveniles are avoiding the adults. If she wants to sleep on the floor or somewhere else instead of on the main roosts with the others let her. I don't care where my juveniles sleep as long as it is not in a nest and is somewhere predator safe. It really helps if they do have room to avoid.

A potential problem with a single bird is that they are social animals, they want to be with other chickens. Sometimes the older ones will let them, it is possible. But sometimes the younger ones have to hang on the outskirts of the flock until they mature enough to actually join in. Integrating one bird can be harder, but it can be done. If you see this, be patient. Don't try to force them to be any closer together than they want to be. This can last until the younger starts to lay but sometimes it works out younger. There are no guarantees with any of this. Sometimes adolescent birds can be worse than adults, sometimes they can be welcoming. You never know until you try.

If this does not work as you plan, I'd set up a separate place you can keep her near the others for a few days so they can see each other. Then once she knows to return to that place to sleep try letting her roam with the others outside during the day when you can observe. After they've proven they can coexist during the day without issues you can try moving her into the main coop if you wish.

Again I'll mention patience. My goal during integration is that no one gets hurt. That's it, no one is hurt. All that one big happy flock doing things together will come with time, but often it takes time.

Let us know what you try and how it goes. If you have problems information on the size and layout of your coop and run and photos showing how they go together can be very helpful in giving specific advice or suggestions. It's a lot easier on us if we know what you have to work with.

Sometimes these things go so well you wonder what al the worry was about, sometimes it ends in disaster. You just don't know until you try. I also strongly believe the more room you have the better your chances. That room is inside the coop and outside when they have access to outside. There is nothing wrong with trying it this way, but I'd want the coop dark enough at night so the others can't beat her up and I'd be down there at the crack of dawn to see how it is going until I'm comfortable she will be OK.

Don't be surprised if she is not cuddling up to the others and joining in all their fun. When I integrate young ones they almost always avoid the older ones. If they invade their personal space they are likely to get pecked so the quickly learn to stay away. When I go down to the coop in the morning to let then out I typically find my juveniles on the roosts while the adults are on the coop floor. The juveniles are avoiding the adults. If she wants to sleep on the floor or somewhere else instead of on the main roosts with the others let her. I don't care where my juveniles sleep as long as it is not in a nest and is somewhere predator safe. It really helps if they do have room to avoid.

A potential problem with a single bird is that they are social animals, they want to be with other chickens. Sometimes the older ones will let them, it is possible. But sometimes the younger ones have to hang on the outskirts of the flock until they mature enough to actually join in. Integrating one bird can be harder, but it can be done. If you see this, be patient. Don't try to force them to be any closer together than they want to be. This can last until the younger starts to lay but sometimes it works out younger. There are no guarantees with any of this. Sometimes adolescent birds can be worse than adults, sometimes they can be welcoming. You never know until you try.

If this does not work as you plan, I'd set up a separate place you can keep her near the others for a few days so they can see each other. Then once she knows to return to that place to sleep try letting her roam with the others outside during the day when you can observe. After they've proven they can coexist during the day without issues you can try moving her into the main coop if you wish.

Again I'll mention patience. My goal during integration is that no one gets hurt. That's it, no one is hurt. All that one big happy flock doing things together will come with time, but often it takes time.

Let us know what you try and how it goes. If you have problems information on the size and layout of your coop and run and photos showing how they go together can be very helpful in giving specific advice or suggestions. It's a lot easier on us if we know what you have to work with.
I definitly understand! I am going to keep my plan, and I will be out at the crack of dawn like you said. I also have a chicken with a lame leg that could keep the new one company.

Here is my plan:
Pick chicken up in early morning of saturday
Let my chickens start free ranging with supervision. I will line feed up by the edge of the fence and put the new chick in the coop.
When they finish eating, I leave them to interact with the chick through the run for most of the day.
When afternoon comes around, I'll put my lame-legged chicken in with the baby w/ supervision and see how they act. I leave them alone for 2 hours.
Then after those two hours I block the chicken off in a corner of the run with chicken wire and supervise.
At nightfall I put the chicken in my room.
At 9-10pm I sneak the chick onto the lower roost, where no chickens sleep. (If she jumps off I'll leave her)
On sunday morning, I wake up early and let them out with supervision (2 feeders and 2 waterers will be available)
If the chick is bullied too much, I will remove her. After everyone seems to have eaten, I will let them free-range. The rest of the day I supervise.

That is the plan :)
And I will submit photos of the coop and run from my phone!
(keep in mind I will add another feeder and waterer they just will not be pictured in this photo)
(In spring I am also planning on buying a rabbit hutch for the chickens to spread out but for now the chick is small and it is cold so I am thinking it will be fine)
(And I free range them everyday when I get home)

One of the hides
1027211639a.jpg

1027211639.jpg

Full run view
(Doesnt look like it but all of the roof spaces are covered with chicken wire and I already have plans to add 5 feet up of an extra layer of hardmesh wire to the bottom of the run)
1027211638.jpg

Full coop view
(Gap in roof cover is soon to be fixed)

So recently I came across a craigslist add for a 1 1/2 month old hen mislabeled as a cornish cross at TS (like that's new lol). My plan is to take her in as her sisters have all been taken and the persons flock is not accepting her.
(She is the small one in the middle)
View attachment 2879142
My flock is currently about 4 months old, and I was wondering how I could integrate her into my flock? I would be picking the pullet up on Saturday.

Sunday is also a free day for me so i would be able to keep an eye on them all day. If i buy treats and do things to keep them busy, do you think this would work?
No, no and no.
No!

A. You NEED to quarantine this new chick. SHe could be carrying all sorts of diseases. A 20 - 30 days quarantine is best.
B. Sticking her on the roost is a nope. Chickens recognize up to 80 faces - they know who they go to bed with and who they wake up in the morning with. If you woke up in bed next to a stranger, you'd have the same reaction you would if they strode into your house.
C. They will bully her, badly. If anthing, start with a setup where they can see but not touch her.

Back
Top Bottom