Help, how do I make a dust bath?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by A-homestead77, Jun 6, 2017.

1. A-homestead77

A-homestead77 Just Hatched

May 30, 2017
    I am a newbie chicken lady, my chicks are about 6 weeks old ( maybe 7?) so I decided that I need to make them a dust bath. I am currently using dirt and sand from my yard/driveway with a touch of grit. What do I need to know?

Hokum Coco likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's fine. Chicks can dirt bathe in just about anything. If you wish to get really upscale, peat moss is a supreme medium. But be prepared for lots of dust.

I usually just give mine a tub of sand.

3. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We use peat moss and wood ash. Dirt and sand work well too. Our soil is clay and not fine enough so we don't use it. When Hubs gets a truckload of topsoil or sand delivered for other uses, I always grab a bucket full for the chickens.

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I cut a plastic 45 gal barrel to use as a container about 12" up from the bottom. I use basically the same ingrediants as you a long with some wood ashes ( it keeps mites away).

A-homestead77 likes this.
  6. Kellycbf

Kellycbf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Midwest US
    I just put an old tire in the run, with holes in the bottom. I put the pine shavings, spilled chicken feed, dirt from the yard, lawn clippings and other small things in the tire. I need to get some ash from the fire pit the next time I am out there. I hear they may build their own dust bath and if they do, I will move the tire to that location, or not, we'll see. It is all such a fun learning experience.

A-homestead77 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by