Pics
Update!! DAY 21:
Brownie has been beak-out for a long while now! However, her little pip has gotten a little longer, so I'm hopeful she might zip. Although, it looks like she's positioned to zip clockwise, which would be a malposition, I believe. I'm keeping an eye on her. She (he?) is the one sitting there beak out. If she's not making more progress 12 hours from now, I'll consider interceding, ala @Pyxis. But the pip has elongated a little this morning, so I'll leave her be for a bit. FYI, she is also the one who pipped opposite her air cell, so she's been a problem child from the get-go! :frow

We really need a gender-neutral term other than "it," which seems to carry a genderless, inanimate feel to it.

Still Day 21:
Baby #2 is OUT!! AND I CAUGHT IT LIVE ON FACEBOOK!! The video is 30 minutes long, so by all means do NOT watch the whole thing! Yes, there is sound. You may need to un-mute it by clicking on the little speaker icon that may appear in the lower right corner of the video.

And yes I did stop the bleeding and check back in. Very, very wet baby, as predicted by @WVduckchick. Nice work!

Brownie is still beak-out and pretty quiet. Since she pipped on the wrong side and out of the air cell and seems to be zipping CLOCKWISE, I'm assuming malpositioning. I might tap into the top air cell, check for blood absorption, and then opt to help.

Last edited:
Okay, so in retrospect, there are a few important things going on in this thread.
  • In the future, readers should know that this is an AMAZING community and you will get the help and support you need!
  • Note how much I learn over the course of one week! It helps that I'm a researcher, but it helps even more that there are extremely helpful people who point me in the right direction here!
  • Continuity: I'm continuing the story here so you can see what happens in the long run. I'm so frustrated with threads that end without closure: Did it work? What happened? Here, you'll see that.
  • Please note also that in the previous post I felt I needed to intervene. If you watch the videos, you'll see it: I TOOK THE LID OFF DURING LOCKDOWN!!, and it was not the end of the world. I took a newly born chick out of the incubator, and it did not die. In fact, a little pressure with my styptic stick may have saved its life. The ethics of that are personal. I made the right decision for my flock, as you will make the right decision for your flock. I promise not to be disrespectful to your decision as I know you will not be disrespectful of mine.
I hope this is helpful to someone else either now or in the future! I will keep the story going for a few more days at least! And I might need help from the community still, especially with Brownie who has not made progress in about 24 hours and seems malpositioned (pipped outside the air cell and seems to have started zipping clockwise before stalling).

Last edited:
Okay, so in retrospect, there are a few important things going on in this thread.
  • In the future, readers should know that this is an AMAZING community and you will get the help and support you need!
  • Note how much I learn over the course of one week! It helps that I'm a researcher, but it helps even more that there are extremely helpful people who point me in the right direction here!
  • Continuity: I'm continuing the story here so you can see what happens in the long run. I'm so frustrated with threads that end without closure: Did it work? What happened? Here, you'll see that.
  • Please note also that in the previous post I felt I needed to intervene. If you watch the videos, you'll see it: I TOOK THE LID OFF DURING LOCKDOWN!!, and it was not the end of the world. I took a newly born chick out of the incubator, and it did not die. In fact, a little pressure with my styptic stick may have saved its life. The ethics of that are personal. I made the right decision for my flock, as you will make the right decision for your flock. I promise not to be disrespectful to your decision as I know you will not be disrespectful of mine.
I hope this is helpful to someone else either now or in the future! I will keep the story going for a few more days at least! And I might need help from the community still, especially with Brownie who has not made progress in about 24 hours and seems malpositioned (pipped outside the air cell and seems to have started zipping clockwise before stalling).
Can you get a picture of Brownie for us? We might be able to tell you if she needs help just from a picture of the pip hole. If you posted it earlier sorry i started reading your thread at the beginning and decided to wait until hatch to check in.

Can you get a picture of Brownie for us? We might be able to tell you if she needs help just from a picture of the pip hole. If you posted it earlier sorry i started reading your thread at the beginning and decided to wait until hatch to check in.

Dog gone it! I do not have any pictures of Brownie...and I'm not sure how that's possible! She is definitely in the 30 minute hatch video, but that will take dedication to watch. After I quit videoing, I did put in a safety hole in the air cell and pull some of the shell away. It looked like she hadn't emptied out the blood vessels yet, so I backed off and got some work done. The next thing I know, she hatched on her own!! We're at 6 hatchlings stumbling around the incubator. I have to set up the brooder ASAP!

Excellent info, you can probably still edit some of this stuff into the very first post if you'd like. Might be nice to know that an outcome will be revealed! Yes, yes, yes, it drives me totally bonkers to help someone, and then never find out what happened. :p
So thank you :bow

Dog gone it! I do not have any pictures of Brownie...and I'm not sure how that's possible! She is definitely in the 30 minute hatch video, but that will take dedication to watch. After I quit videoing, I did put in a safety hole in the air cell and pull some of the shell away. It looked like she hadn't emptied out the blood vessels yet, so I backed off and got some work done. The next thing I know, she hatched on her own!! We're at 6 hatchlings stumbling around the incubator. I have to set up the brooder ASAP!

Yeah Brownie! :ya :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom