19 babies from the incubator eggs and counting!

Weird--the pictures of my broody hens' two chicks that hatched last night are appearing here for me. Whaaaat?

Attachments

• 72F37599-37DA-4D3D-A973-D334C3415BB5.jpeg
    72F37599-37DA-4D3D-A973-D334C3415BB5.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 12
  • F053E6FC-DC72-4C47-BC41-78544FB5CE19.jpeg
    F053E6FC-DC72-4C47-BC41-78544FB5CE19.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 11
It's interesting--my daughter and I have a sensitivity to the PEEP-PEEP-PEEP that is the "Mommy, come here and help me!" call when a chick is stuck upside down. My son doesn't hear a thing. I wonder if it's a genetic thing! My son is actually much more interested in human babies than my daughter has ever been, yet she and I hear it and act, whereas he's just tuned in to his Paw Patrol. :lol:

Oh! My! Here's a question: is it possible for a chick to lose its egg tooth (or just not have one to start with) prior to finishing its hatch? Bcause I don't see an egg tooth on this one. It seems to be trying to say something, but no sound. I wonder if I need to intervene. I may do a safety hole to check out the membrane. If I do, I'll take pictures this time!

UPDATE: A closer look does show that eyetooth, but this one zipped diagonally. (Not Diagon Alley.) See posts below: #117 & #121

Last edited:
Looks to me like that zip is over an inch started???
Once they physically start a full zip, if they don't keep progressing, I pull the cap off. They should complete a zip within roughly an hour, but should not stop along the way for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. I have certain breeds that are prone to stopping part way, or missing sections of shell, or not completely ripping the membrane and get stuck. So if they actually start a zip, they are ready to be out!

They will rest then zip some more, take a rest and continue. The chicks don't drown during incubation. It's when they pip the air cell because condensation builds up in it and when they pip it they drown. People are astonished that a fully formed chick will die in the shell and most often it's because the humidity was too high during incubation. I just purchased 2 more hygrometers. I was afraid too but when I candled the eggs they looked to be developing fine. Glad it was my hygrometer that was faulty. It has always worked great and I have used it for many years.

HOLY COW!!! It feels like we've had hatches left and right today! I caught another one LIVE on Facebook again. Feel free to friend me there! (My name is on the video here!) Only 9 eggs remain unhatched. One is the chick I thought might not have an egg tooth, but now that I see it more completely (it's zipping diagonally), I can see the egg tooth. Another has a very small pip. That's 23 live hatches, 2 hopefully on the way, and 7 with no external signs of progress. That's not entirely true. At least one of those seven has clear internal pipping signs.

Looks to me like that zip is over an inch started???
Once they physically start a full zip, if they don't keep progressing, I pull the cap off. They should complete a zip within roughly an hour, but should not stop along the way for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. I have certain breeds that are prone to stopping part way, or missing sections of shell, or not completely ripping the membrane and get stuck. So if they actually start a zip, they are ready to be out!

Very good to know! I did make a safety hole, but as soon as I started chipping away around it, I hit a little blood. So I scraped some powder off my styptic stick, applied it, and backed away slowly. That one has made a little more progress, but it's diagonal. It looks like it might have the energy for a final push here now.

HOLY COW!!! It feels like we've had hatches left and right today! I caught another one LIVE on Facebook again. Feel free to friend me there! (My name is on the video here!) Only 9 eggs remain unhatched. One is the chick I thought might not have an egg tooth, but now that I see it more completely (it's zipping diagonally), I can see the egg tooth. Another has a very small pip. That's 23 live hatches, 2 hopefully on the way, and 7 with no external signs of progress. That's not entirely true. At least one of those seven has clear internal pipping signs.

I can't see your video. :(

Very good to know! I did make a safety hole, but as soon as I started chipping away around it, I hit a little blood. So I scraped some powder off my styptic stick, applied it, and backed away slowly. That one has made a little more progress, but it's diagonal. It looks like it might have the energy for a final push here now.

Sometimes diagonal or crooked zips have leg issues, so keep an eye on it. Hopefully not the case here. :fl

You are having such a fabulous hatch! If I used FB more, I'd send you a friend request, but honestly, I hate that site. I use it to sell chicks sometimes, or should I say "give away" chicks, because those people always seem to want something for nothing. LOL

Back
Top Bottom