HELP HURT ROOSTER

Tarojar

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2022
So, I have always wanted chickens growing up! I finally got them after my sister kindly hatched a few for us. Everything was all right for the most part but then my rooster suddenly is having issues walking. I thought it might be dehydration or the lack of vitamins, but when looking in-depth more it might be a disease. I am very new to raising chickens and this is an emergency!
Today I bought some vitamin/electrolyte mix for their water from the store near me!
He has been walking odd for about a week now, but he has gotten up a few times. Whenever I try to stand him up his legs step on each other, his wings drop (until he picks them up), and he starts to wobble when he does walk. ALSO he has been doing this odd panting/hissing thing?
List of the food and his environment:
- I use a straw bedding currently because I bought a new better bedding
- I used to feed my chickens chick feed, but I bought actual better feed today
- Since I live with my family and we have yet to get the coop appraised, they live in a coop in the basement/garage
I just joined this site because I have always gotten information from here! I am really worried he might die if not treated soon…

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 2
Yes, same containers, and everything. I am thinking another thing it could have came from was the straw I used? It had a lot of dirt in it and they often spilled water in it. So maybe there was mold for too long in it? I honestly am stumped onto what could have happened. I only recently had to use straw instead of flake bedding because I ran out.(I currently have the right bedding no worries on that)
Yes...straw can get moldy too. Moldy could very well be an issue.

Where did your sister get her eggs from?
How old is he?
What are you feeding?
Is he eating/drinking/pooping?

It sounds like Mareks but could be nutritional also. It's really hard to "see" him due to the lighting. If you're able to take a video of him walking/standing, download on YouTube then you'll be able to upload it here. These links may help you figure out the possibility...

http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

He seems weak. Something may have happened to send him into shock. Continue the electrolytes and vitamins, but add sugar to him water.

His symptoms can also point to an avian virus. He's in the right age range for onset of symptoms if he was infected in his eggs or soon after. Two avian viruses exhibit these symptoms. It's not possible to diagnose. Keep up the vitamins and doctored water, and if he gets better, you'll know it's not a virus. If he declines further, it's likely a virus.

do you think it might spread to my hens? I’m really worried about all of their safety.
When you have a sick bird, it is always a good idea to quarantine them away from the rest of the flock. I don't know what this is, but in case it is contagious, I would separate him and keep him in a cage or box with bedding, feed, and water until he gets better, if possible.

Sounds/looks like he has Marek's disease to me.

Unfortunately You might have to learn the hard way about chicken diseases and how horrible they are. Usually it is best to avoid them. Unfortunately most people don't realize this until it's too late.

If he has a vitamin deficiency then he would get better pretty quickly if you were giving him the correct vitamins. He doesn't get better quickly than it's probably Marek's.

Are you in the US?
I think so too, I’be only starting giving him a lot of vitamins that he hasn’t had before recently. So I am hoping it might be just that. You might be right though :(

I think so too, I’be only starting giving him a lot of vitamins that he hasn’t had before recently. So I am hoping it might be just that. You might be right though :(
If he has been eating a pelleted or crumble type feed he most likely doesn't have a vitamin deficiency. If you feed a lot of treats or a whole grain type feed it could be likely but not very likely.

If he has been eating a pelleted or crumble type feed he most likely doesn't have a vitamin deficiency. If you feed a lot of treats or a whole grain type feed it could be likely but not very likely.
I only bought the new feed yesterday or so, do you think he might still have a chance of deficiency? I hand fed him electrolyte/sugar/vitamin water mix with his mushed new feed to try and help him today.

Thank you for all the help! I’ll make sure to check them out to see how to if it comes to that. I’ll make sure to put updates on how he is acting in the morning and after that. Hoping he gets better because I’ve rlly built a friendship w him :(
I hope you don't mind but I'd like to share something with you.

It is completely possible for chickens to appear healthy and disease-free at one place. Sometimes when you take those birds and move them to a new location they get stressed and the disease or illness will come out or start showing.

So it's possible the person who sold him or gave him to you or whatever doesn't know that their flock carries a disease.
I just want you to be very careful in the future about buying birds. It is much more likely to bring a disease into your flock if you're bringing an adult bird home.
It is much less likely to bring a disease home if you buy baby chicks from a major hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom