Help! I can’t figure out what’s wrong with one of my chicks!

mfranklin17

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2019
TN
Hey guys! I had 6 pullets that were hatched 3/8. So they are 4 days old now. I had one pass on the 10th when I brought them home & now I have this other lady that is acting strange.
This is my first time with chicks so I want to help her the best I can. She won’t eat or drink on her own. She will drink when I pull her out and help her. She will eat egg yolk, but nothing else, even if I put some crumbles in the yolk. She has pooped a couple of times. She also won’t lay down. She is a little wobbly. She chirps away, and will follow the others to the food or water, but just stands there.
Any suggestions for what else I can do to help her?

giving this is your time with chicks, i have to ask if you have:
1) heat lamp in your brooder box that is hot enough? Meaning the chicks will not gather directly in the center under it and will be still chirping being cold, but should spread in the circle around it.
2) purchased chick starter feed which is far easier/reliable for the 1st month raising chicks than any homemade feed?
It is normal to have weaker/smaller chicks in the hatch. As long as the conditions right and there is nothing terribly wrong with them or they were severely stressed in transportation, they should develop fine. Sorry for your chick loss.

giving this is your time with chicks, i have to ask if you have:
1) heat lamp in your brooder box that is hot enough? Meaning the chicks will not gather directly in the center under it and will be still chirping being cold, but should spread in the circle around it.
2) purchased chick starter feed which is far easier/reliable for the 1st month raising chicks than any homemade feed?
It is normal to have weaker/smaller chicks in the hatch. As long as the conditions right and there is nothing terribly wrong with them or they were severely stressed in transportation, they should develop fine. Sorry for your chick loss.
1. Yes! The thermometer says 95 & they are spread out laying down & don’t keep chirping.
2. definitely purchase chick starter feed! I’m not brave enough to try any homemade stuff quite yet!
Thank you for your response! I’m really hoping this one can pull through. I just need her to eat!

it has been suggested adding apple cider vinegar (unfiltered, with mother) to all chicks drinking water at the rate of 1tsp/gal, which I have practiced but can really sure how much difference did it make. Some chicks are just born weak.

Back
Top Bottom