help!.? I have clear discharge from nostrils and sneezing

asthrngal89

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Kelly, NC
I recently bought chickens from an auction, its been about a month now and I have a very tiny small frizzle hen that has clear discharge coming from her nose and is sometimes sneezing, she eats and drinks fine has quite an appetite. I have her inside away from my other 5 chickens ive only been giving her oxytetracycline hci soluble powder in her water a man told me to put a teaspoon for small liter waterer, am I doing the right thing??? I need help there are no vets that accept chickens where I live!

Welcome to BYC. Since there are several brands of oxytetracycline, it's best to know the brand you are using. The brand below has a dosage of 2 1/2 tablespoonsful per gallon of water. For a quart size waterer you should divide that by 4. By my terrible math skills, I think that is 1.8 teaspoonsful per quart or liter. Treat for 7 days. If you have another brand, let me know, and I will try to look it up. The symptoms of sneezing and a runny nose could be infectious bronchitis (IB,) which has to run its course over 4-5 weeks. It also could be mild MG, which should respond to antibiotics. IB causes flocks to be carriers for up to a year, while MG in flocks will be carriers for life. Keep that in mind if you add new chickens. There are many different respiratory diseases in chickens, and you can read this link about the symptoms:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

index.php

Last edited:
I have the Oxytetracycline HCI soluble powder same picture and all not sure if im doing the right thing or not but putting 1 teaspoon in her quart waterer...im really attached to my little one! Her name is Frenchy lol she sure is eating good but the snots are not getting any better but not getting any worse..... I also have a big buff hen outside in my pen with the rest she seems to sneeze but not have discharge I put 6 teaspoons in their three gallon waterer hoping nothing will be spread mean while my sweet snot nose frenchy is inside with me in her cage. Am I doing the right thing??? thanks!!

Do two teaspoons per quart.

2.5 tablespoons is 7.5 teaspoons. 7.5 / 4 = 1.875 teaspoons, so round up to 2 teaspoons per quart.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
COOL info!!! so glad for all the help..was wondering... should I not worm her until I get her better from the repertory stuff??

the man at the tractor supply said he knew all there was about chickens lol he gave me this Goat wormer... safe guard (fenbenzadoe)told me to give her half of .5 ml to her... I haven't yet I been frightened to LOL! he also told me if she wasn't better with the oxy powder in three days I needed tanzan 200 to give her shots ... but I don't think I can give my chicken a shot id probably pass out!!! IDK im so confused and just want this Feather baby healthy and happy again... I don't know much about chickens I probably opened up a can of worms buying some from auction just because they were cute and wanted yard pets! LOL I only have 6 chickens all just to enjoy ! LOL No eating allowed!! lol!!

Back
Top Bottom