Help ID my rooster breed?

I laughed when I saw your photo, I have a roo that is similar. I am guessing he is a mutt roo

40674_sam.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to see what the chicks grow up into... I had four of his chicks (crossed with those white shaver/leghorns) hatch yesterday, and one of his chicks with a black star (possibly a feather footed cross hen) too. Hope that whatever he is has a good type of egg, otherwise those s/l crosses will be a shame lol!

And thank you, I'm really happy I picked him up.

Did those leghorn hens in the background come with him, thats whay I was thinking that he is probably a leghorn cross because his color is what you get when crossing with Dominant white and White leghorns are one of the few Dominant white breeds.

No, the shaver/leghorns in the back are battery caged chickens that I got - they are much more prolific layers than white leghorns, cuz of the shaver. Also, white being dominant, if he was part leghorn wouldn't he have yellow legs? Or are legs a separately determined issue?

ETA Obviously, they're not battery caged anymore lol!

Last edited:
Yes the leg color is determined separate, I think yellow leggs are recessive. I'm glad you got those battery hens and gave them a better life, I hate to see birds cooped up like that.

I was mortified!!! Where I live, there's so much space between homes that it's just stupid to cage chickens like that. "farm raised chickens" means free range to me, so I replied to the ad and went to pick them up. I got thirteen, six for me and seven for my neighbor, but they were so lethargic and had no idea what to do with the space. Took them a week to quit being afraid of the bath basin. Their combs were barely even tinged pink, they were so unhealthy/unhappy. Now though, they're as sassy as my bantams and as active, and some of them even lay twice a day, monster white eggs.

Quote:
Good for you. But I still think your roo, being that color, would be a leghorn cross or possibly a game cross since I think most White Games like American Games are Dominant white as well but I dont know what it would be crossed with if so.

Good lucks with whatever he is.

Back
Top Bottom