Help identifying breeds - from Italian chicken show

That's possible. There was one exhibitor with two Campines, hen and roo, listed as "Bruna Dorata Chiara a Coda Nera" (light golden brown with a black tail), which fits for this one.

However, looking at the timestamp, and the photos taken just before and after, it seems like it the Campines were in a different part of the hall.

Could it be a Bantam Leghorn? https://www.leghornkriel.nl/index.php/patrijs

The second one looks like Indian Game/Cornish.

Disclaimer: only making uneducated guesses :D

Could it be a Bantam Leghorn? https://www.leghornkriel.nl/index.php/patrijs

The second one looks like Indian Game/Cornish.

Disclaimer: only making uneducated guesses :D
Quite possible on the Bantam Leghorn. In the show catalog I located a breeder who exhibited those, and just e-mailed them to ask if it is one of theirs...

There were a lot of Indian Game at the show, both large and bantam, but only a small number of Cornish. I'll compare to the other photos I took and see if I can spot something.

Thanks!

1- brown leghorn
2- cornish or a malay(?)
I was right about who was the breeder for the first one, wrote and they confirmed that is a "Livorno nana dorata blu." (blue gold bantam leghorn - what would that coloring be called in the US?).

On the second, I'm definitely leaning towards Cornish, but with those long legs it could be a bantam Malay.

I was right about who was the breeder for the first one, wrote and they confirmed that is a "Livorno nana dorata blu." (blue gold bantam leghorn - what would that coloring be called in the US?).

On the second, I'm definitely leaning towards Cornish, but with those long legs it could be a bantam Malay.
I'm a bit confused, since that leghorn doesn't show any blue coloring at all. She also doesn't look that much like a bantam?

I'm a bit confused, since that leghorn doesn't show any blue coloring at all. She also doesn't look that
much like a bantam?
I tracked down the breeder, and that's what she wrote to me.
The cages were all the same size. Compare the height of this bird to the cross bar on the back of the cage (first photo), with the height where that cross bar lines up in the second photo, a Delaware. If they were together, the Leghorn would only come up to the chest of the Delaware. By the way, both of these were best of breed winners.

Maybe blue refers to the color of the tail? They do use different terms and classifications in Italy. I'll try to note that in the captions when I post the thread with lots more about this show.
Fely_Chickens (59).jpg

Delaware.jpg

Last edited:
I tracked down the breeder, and that's what she wrote to me.
The cages were all the same size. Compare the height of this bird to the cross bar on the back of the cage (first photo), with the height where that cross bar lines up in the second photo, a Delaware. If they were together, the Leghorn would only come up to the chest of the Delaware.

View attachment 1643342

View attachment 1643338
Delawares are supposed to be bigger than leghorns, since leghorns are egg layers and delawares are dual-purpose. Though she's probably what the breeder says, I would expect a bantam to be smaller...

Delawares are supposed to be bigger than leghorns, since leghorns are egg layers and delawares are dual-purpose. Though she's probably what the breeder says, I would expect a bantam to be smaller...
I looked up the Italian standard, bantam leghorns should be between 1 lb 5 oz and 1 lb 9 oz. She does look large for that. She did win best of breed, with 95 points on their scale, but there were only a couple of bantam leghorns entered.

Back
Top Bottom