Help Identifying my Ducks

Maybe! I'm not the right person to ask because english is not my native language 🤪.
We would call it "Wildkleur" (wild color, color of the mallard duck 🦆) and translate it as Mallard in English documents.
Or "donker wildkleur" (dark wild color) which, at my side of the ocean, translate to Dusky Mallard.
So it could be....
I appreciate your help nonetheless! Hope you have a great day :)

All domestic ducks (except Muscovy) are descendants of Mallards. Scientifically, they are all the same species because they can cross breed so they are all Mallards. I am sure that is not what you meant when you got the eggs though. I suspect both of your ducks are of mixed parentage from someone who raises ducks in their backyard. Just because a duck is white, does not make it a Pekin, especially with a pink bill. There are many kinds of white ducks. I believe White layers, which are a hybrid or mixed duck have pink bills. Perhaps your duck has white layer grandparents. In the same way not all large ducks with wild type plumage (feathers colored like a mallard) are Rouens. Your duck could have many different ancestors. If you really want to know, contact the person who sold you the eggs. Btw, they are beautiful. I suspect the brown one is a drake (male) but I could be wrong.

Here a post where you can see the difference between a male and female mallard colour duck at 9weeks

Mallards also have greenish bills most of the time. This does not always turn out to be a reliable indicator.

'Sexing mallard juveniles'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sexing-mallard-juveniles.666072/post-9002024

As sounds goes, males will rasp, ducks will quack.
Drake will develop a drake feather, female obviously will not.

What white layers vs peking goes, We don’t have them [edit:white layers] where I live I believe. From hear say I heard white layers are like pekings on a diet, a little more slender. But very friendly too.

Last edited:
@DucksAreBest

Here is a link to a video I took with them making noise! I tried to get them close to the microphone so it could pick up the most noise but its still a bit hard to hear them. In case it's hard to tell which one of them is making what noise, the white one is making high squeaky noises and the brown one is making all kinds of noises.

@cheezenkwackers

I messaged the person who I bought the eggs from a few days ago but unfortunately they have not got back to me yet. But I am hoping they will whenever they get the chance. There's definitely a good chance that they are mixed, since the ducks themselves are so different. My brown one even has spots of orange on his feet.Thanks for letting me know about white layers, I don't know a lot of duck breeds so It's very helpful.

@DucksAreBest

Here is a link to a video I took with them making noise! I tried to get them close to the microphone so it could pick up the most noise but its still a bit hard to hear them. In case it's hard to tell which one of them is making what noise, the white one is making high squeaky noises and the brown one is making all kinds of noises.

@cheezenkwackers

I messaged the person who I bought the eggs from a few days ago but unfortunately they have not got back to me yet. But I am hoping they will whenever they get the chance. There's definitely a good chance that they are mixed, since the ducks themselves are so different. My brown one even has spots of orange on his feet.Thanks for letting me know about white layers, I don't know a lot of duck breeds so It's very helpful.
I would still say your brown duck is a drake.

@DucksAreBest

@cheezenkwackers

Their still too young to voice sex, but by the color of the Rouen's head it looks like a male. 😁

Back
Top Bottom