Help Incubating Eggs

Next lot of questions.
Because mu humidity would have been lower then normal in incubation should i still knock it up to the normal 65% for lockdown?
Is it possible for chicks to shrink wrap before internal pip?
I have 1 egg rocking! That mean internal pip or just getting ready to internal pip?
Thanks guys!

Because mu humidity would have been lower then normal in incubation should i still knock it up to the normal 65% for lockdown?

I'd put it up to at least 65%, a little more would not hurt.

Is it possible for chicks to shrink wrap before internal pip?

Great question, shows you are thinking. It is highly unlikely but possible. You are dealing with living animals, practically anything is possible. It takes a certain combination of things to shrink-wrap a chick. A lot of time even with fairly low humidity during lockdown and hatch they do not shrink wrap. Many people are quite successful using a fairly low humidity during incubation. Since your first post said some of your air cells were small your incubating humidity probably was not all that low to start with. It's quite possible your instrument is not reading correctly. Be careful to not overthink it and do something harmful to the hatch. Just treat it like a normal incubation and lockdown, at this point I think that is your best chance at a good hatch.

I have 1 egg rocking! That mean internal pip or just getting ready to internal pip?

Could be either, the chick getting into position for internal pip or has already internal pipped. It could be moving to get ready for external pip.

Thanks guys! 1 external pip! But is a different egg to the one that we saw rocking last night, so hoping the other one is still okay.....
Also really struggling with humidity it isnt going above 50-55% and its so full the water is leaking out the holes around the side of the incubator.
Also the temp is really high all of a sudden... around 38-39 Celsius. Turnes the incubator down slightly but hasnt helped?....

“Is it possible for chicks to shrink wrap before internal pip?”
I just wanted to say this is the EXACT question I’ve been searching this forum for since yesterday and could not find an answer lol then woke up and saw this. And @Ridgerunner gave a great answer!

Good luck with your hatch!!!

Temperature and humidity are related. That high temp is helping keep the humidity down. Get it cooler and you can add humidity to the room with a small humidifier.

Thanks for the replies, will give that a go.
First chick out! A few hours short of 21 days, and its a vocal one haha. Wont stop doing the loud call chirp, i guess thats a good sign.
One more with an external pip so hopefully in a few hours it will have some friends.

Thanks guys! 1 external pip! But is a different egg to the one that we saw rocking last night, so hoping the other one is still okay.....
Also really struggling with humidity it isnt going above 50-55% and its so full the water is leaking out the holes around the side of the incubator.
Also the temp is really high all of a sudden... around 38-39 Celsius. Turnes the incubator down slightly but hasnt helped?....
Should be fine. I was able to hatch mine out at only 40% humidity or so because my homemade incubator couldn't hold that high of a humidity..... but I guess it depends on the other 20 days of incubation humidity that determines the air cell and if it's good enough for a low humidity lockdown? Whatever the case, mine hatched fine at just 40% though I wouldn't recommend low humidity if you can help it..... maybe it was beginners luck, I don't know.

Last edited:
Should be fine. I was able to hatch mine out at only 40% humidity or so because my homemade incubator couldn't hold that high of a humidity..... but I guess it depends on the other 20 days of incubation humidity that determines the air cell and if it's good enough for a low humidity lockdown? Whatever the case, mine hatched fine at just 40% though I wouldn't recommend low humidity if you can help it..... maybe it was beginners luck, I don't know.
Are you in a humid climate? Even running dry my humidity runs around 35 - 40% as an average first 18 days. Adding one or two sponges in Tupperware’s on lockdown spikes it up to 65-70%. But, like today, outside humidity is 94% here

Thanks for the replies, will give that a go.
First chick out! A few hours short of 21 days, and its a vocal one haha. Wont stop doing the loud call chirp, i guess thats a good sign.
One more with an external pip so hopefully in a few hours it will have some friends.
Fingers crossed!!$

Back
Top Bottom