Help! Incubation advice needed.

ol-jswartz

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Kellyville Oklahoma
I bought a new farm innovations forced air incubator using a good thermometer temp 98.5 to 100.5 degf on average and 50% RH by the little hygrometer that came with the incubator but I never checked it's accuracy (Rookie Mistake I Know). On day 14 I finally got my thermometer/hygrometer in the mail and checked it out and it is accurate. When I got it in the incubator I realized I had been running my humidity at 25% RH for 14 days. So I now have the humidity at 70% in an effort to help save this batch.
I WOULD GREATLY APPRICIATE ANY AND ALL ADVICE. Thanks folks!

The best indication of proper humidity is the size of air sac development. The egg needs to lose, I do not remember exact percentage, but think it is around 11-14% of the liquid in the eggs. I have read of people weighing the eggs, but I just try to guess from pictures on internet, and watching he air sac development when I candle on day 7, and again on day 14, and again on day 18. I think you will be OK, I have never bumped the humidity up that high before lockdown, so I can not comment on that.

Last edited:
I normally try to run around 35%, but do not get real worried until it gets around 20%, but that is me. I have had hatches I thought would be great turn out real bad, and visa versa. If you feel that you have already lost too much liquid, then you would be wise to raise the humidity to a point where it hinders the evaporation taking place.

Back
Top Bottom