eveleychook

Songster
Feb 23, 2020
I have tried incubating eggs twice now. The 1st time around I put in 8 eggs of which only 3 were fertile and none survived. Now I have again tried to incubate eggs, I placed 10 eggs in the incubator. I candled 6 days later, all were developing except for one which I then removed. I again candled again on day 14 which was today. All embryos were dead with no veining except for one. Please help me figure out what the problem is, as I only have one viable egg left which goes into lockdown in 4 days. Has anyone ever used the Janoel 10 Plus incubator which also includes a automatic turning function? Also in Australia where I live it is currently winter could this have affected the eggs in any way? Any help would be kindly appreciated.

IMG_20200813_144134.jpg

IMG_20200813_144140.jpg

IMG_20200813_144211.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_144134.jpg
    IMG_20200813_144134.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200813_144140.jpg
    IMG_20200813_144140.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200813_144211.jpg
    IMG_20200813_144211.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 5
I have tried incubating eggs twice now. The 1st time around I put in 8 eggs of which only 3 were fertile and none survived. Now I have again tried to incubate eggs, I placed 10 eggs in the incubator. I candled 6 days later, all were developing except for one which I then removed. I again candled again on day 14 which was today. All embryos were dead with no veining except for one. Please help me figure out what the problem is, as I only have one viable egg left which goes into lockdown in 4 days. Has anyone ever used the Janoel 10 Plus incubator which also includes a automatic turning function? Also in Australia where I live it is currently winter could this have affected the eggs in any way? Any help would be kindly appreciated.

View attachment 2288157
View attachment 2288159
View attachment 2288161
How certain are you in your candling? I ask this because I had 8 on my first attempt, that I couldn't see any veins in, and people here said that all but one were dead - and all 8 hatched. Here are 3 of them. These were all eggs that hatched and are now 5 months old in our chicken run/coop.

Attachments

• 20200402_141507.jpg
    20200402_141507.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200402_141532.jpg
    20200402_141532.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200402_141600.jpg
    20200402_141600.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 5
The 8 eggs I removed had no veining at all, they were not dark enough and, the air cell not big enough, the last egg in the incubator has veining and was significantly darker than all the other eggs, the air cell is also more enlarged.

How certain are you in your candling? I ask this because I had 8 on my first attempt, that I couldn't see any veins in, and people here said that all but one were dead - and all 8 hatched. Here are 3 of them. These were all eggs that hatched and are now 5 months old in our chicken run/coop.

How many days old were your eggs when you asked yourself if they were still alive?

Well, I'm no expert - I've only done it once. It's late tonight, but hopefully someone with more "incubator experience'' will log on in the morning and can help. We used a different type of incubator so I guess all I can do is wish you good luck. The only other thing I can ask is...did you calibrate your incubator so you know that what it says the temperature is...really is what it is?

Well, I'm no expert - I've only done it once. It's late tonight, but hopefully someone with more "incubator experience'' will log on in the morning and can help. We used a different type of incubator so I guess all I can do is wish you good luck. The only other thing I can ask is...did you calibrate your incubator so you know that what it says the temperature is...really is what it is?

What do you mean with calibrate the incubator? Do you mean using an Hygrometer? I can only tell you that it says 38 degrees on the outside of the machine.

You need to add another thermometer and hydrometer that you are certain are accurate, and not rely solely on the incubator's built in system because it can be off.

That image you posted looks like a viable egg to me. Veining is not always clearly seen during candling.

Cold temperatures and temperature fluctuation in my experience does affect incubation success. It's best to keep your incubator in a room where the temperature stays pretty constant, without drafts and away from direct sunlight.

How cold is it right now in Australia? I live in Canada.

Last edited:
You need to add another thermometer and hydrometer that you are certain are accurate, and not rely solely on the incubator's built in system because it can be off.

That image you posted looks like a viable egg to me. Veining is not always clearly seen during candling.

Cold temperatures and temperature fluctuation in my experience does affect incubation success. It's best to keep your incubator in a room where the temperature stays pretty constant, without drafts and away from direct sunlight.

How cold is it right now in Australia? I live in Canada.

Cold enough here, thanks for reply.

Back
Top Bottom