HELP. Injured and sick chicken!

anjachandran

Hatching
Apr 21, 2015
In the early morning around 2 am on Monday April 20th, 2015, my two hens were attacked by raccoons. One was severely injured and had passed away. The other escaped with some head injury to the comb. She hasn't eaten, but i occasionally give her water. Later that day i diluted 5 aspirins in a gallon like MSU suggested and she only drank very little. Later today (april 21st) I gave her some diluted powerade to try to get in some electrolytes. Yet, again she drank just very little. I wrapped her up in a towel and tried by best to clean her wounds with some salt water and polysporin. She has a swollen neck (right under the beak); when she breathes it's very large. Is this swollen neck because of the injury? I don't think the vet is an option for my family. We've never taken our hens to the vet. Please help!!! I don't know what to do any further. I gave her aspirin yesterday, so should I give her more? I'm not even sure if it is a swollen neck, all I can say is that it protrudes when she breathes. Also, when she drank, she would salivate a little on the sides

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. She may have injured an air sac in the neck which could be leaking under her skin--this is called subcutaneous emphysema or wind puff. If it is causing severe breathing problems or clicking, it can be punctured with an 18 gauge needle and the air removed, but it make come back. I woul probably just help her eat some egg and feed her the electrolytes until she feels well enough to eat on her own. Internal injuries may be present that might prevent her recovery, but I hope she makes it.

Is this a problem that will resolve itself? Is there anything I can do; a treatment that could be safely administered?

She's resting okay. She only puffs out her chest occasionally when she gets up. She drank the tiniest bit today-- nothing significant. I'm going to try to see if she will again. She seemed to be salivating near one side of her mouth every time she drank. Also, I don't own any 18 gauge needles... Is there a substitution?

Back
Top Bottom