Help injured chicken

Satarbox01

Hatching
Oct 23, 2020
Today my rooster was attacked my a loose dog in our neighborhood. It looks to have gotten ahold of his neck and he seems injured pretty bad. It seems as though only small wounds but all of his neck feathers are ripped off and hanging from one side of his face.! Help any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

If you can't get him to a vet or don't have access to one, clean the wound to stave off infection and keep him warm and calm, certainly keep him away from the others in the flock.

If all you have is hydrogen peroxide, I'd use that. I always keep Vetricyn on hand. But anything you do is better than nothing.

I hope he recovers!

Last edited:
Some pictures of the wound would be helpful.

I would try to bring him inside and set him in a warm, dimly lit, stressful free area with feed and water provided. Dripping drops of an electrolyte along his beak would be good, or occasionally tempting him to eat soupy feed.

For the wounds, I would flush them well with some saline, trim feathers around the wound area, then flush again. Once you have a clean wound area, I would apply a coating of an antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin, or Preparation H.

Of course, since it's a dog bite infection is always a concern, so it may be good to start him on an antibiotic. You can aquire several antibiotics online in fish or bird form, such as fish amoxicillin, or Baytril 10%. The only problem is shipping may take a few days/week, so as an alternative you could go to your local TSC, pick up some Penicillin G Injectable and use that instead. Not the most effective antibiotic by any means, but it'll prove better than nothing. You can find that here,

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-penicillin-injectable-500cc

You'll also need 22 gauge needles. The dose for Pen G is 0.15m per pound IM, once a day, or every two days.

Thanks, @isaac O for a much better answer than mine. I was just hoping if I responded to the previously unanswered thread, it would call attention to the post by someone more knowledgeable than I am. And, it worked!!

Hi all, I'm in a similar situation. My tiny bantam rooster got out and was attacked by dog. He seems to be doing ok and have treated wound with vetricyn, but I've noticed he hasn't gone to the bathroom all day. Is that cause for more concern?

Hi all, I'm in a similar situation. My tiny bantam rooster got out and was attacked by dog. He seems to be doing ok and have treated wound with vetricyn, but I've noticed he hasn't gone to the bathroom all day. Is that cause for more concern?
Hi @madischicks :frow Welcome To BYC!

Can you start your own thread about your injured rooster?
In your thread, tell us about his injuries, how you are treating, what he eats and please post some photos.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom