Help injured girl

bothpawsoff

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 1, 2013
My flock got attacked by a dog yesterday and one of my girls got beat up badly. I brought her in and cleaned her up and put some scarlet spray on her. She’s not eating or drinking and I gave her a very small baby aspirin for her pain. What can I do to get her eating and drinking….no egg today and she’s a year.

Attachments

• IMG_8402.jpeg
    IMG_8402.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8414.jpeg
    IMG_8414.jpeg
    740.7 KB · Views: 18
Keep her indoors to reduce infections. Do daily cleaning of her wound and use neosporin. Apply a good layer of it on the wound.

For now, keep her hydrated every 4 hours. Make sure she gets a lot of rest, the next day you can give her food. If she won't eat, wet the feed and turn it into a mash. If that don't work, give her a raw yolk only. Place it on a small dish and hold it up to her beak to coax her to nibble at it.

Will she drink some sugar water or electrolytes from a small cup if you hold it up to her beak and dip it once or twice? Wet mushy feed changed often, and cooked egg or tuna are some things to offer as well as the usual chicken feed. Is she able to stand and walk? What are you using to clean her wounds? Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and water, Betadine, saline or Vetericyn wound spray are all good to use. Then plain Neosporin ointment can be applied when dry. A clean old towel would be good for bedding to keep pine shavings out of the wound. You can prop her on towels, and maybe letter try a chicken sling if she is not able to stand. Hopefully, she has no internal injuries. Is he pooping, and is her crop emptying overnight?

If she won't drink on her own, use an eyedropper to lay water alongside her beak. She should open her mouth reflexively and swallow the droplet. It's important to lay it along the outside so you don't accidentally force liquid into her lungs - which can cause infections or outright drown her. This method works well for electrolytes and liquid meds, too.

Will she drink some sugar water or electrolytes from a small cup if you hold it up to her beak and dip it once or twice? Wet mushy feed changed often, and cooked egg or tuna are some things to offer as well as the usual chicken feed. Is she able to stand and walk? What are you using to clean her wounds? Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and water, Betadine, saline or Vetericyn wound spray are all good to use. Then plain Neosporin ointment can be applied when dry. A clean old towel would be good for bedding to keep pine shavings out of the wound. You can prop her on towels, and maybe letter try a chicken sling if she is not able to stand. Hopefully, she has no internal injuries. Is he pooping, and is her crop emptying overnight?
She won’t drink any electrolytes, she’s in the house and I’ll try the mashed food and cooked eggs. I cleaned it and used scarlet spray but I’m going to change it over to the vetreicyn. She’s pooping and can’t stand to well i believe her leg got injured.

Sometimes, injuries will improve with some time. Let’s hope she gets better. The chicken sling, if she will tolerate one, can help to keep her cleaner, as well as to help her reach food and water. Food and water are placed just in front of the chicken:

1691753520690.jpeg

Keep her indoors to reduce infections. Do daily cleaning of her wound and use neosporin. Apply a good layer of it on the wound.

For now, keep her hydrated every 4 hours. Make sure she gets a lot of rest, the next day you can give her food. If she won't eat, wet the feed and turn it into a mash. If that don't work, give her a raw yolk only. Place it on a small dish and hold it up to her beak to coax her to nibble at it.
This just happened to us. Our neighbors dog got to our girls, and took off with our 3 month old RIR. Four of our girls are missing. We have Lucy in our room, in a dog kennel, with water and hydration fluid added. Cleaned and put neosporin on the wounded area.

We can’t find four of our girls, and are terrified that the dog got to them as well, plus they’ve fled, and we can’t find them. We live in the woods, so they could be anywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am SO sorry! Put their feeder and waterer out where they can see and access them. Make sure there is protection/cover nearby so they won't feel exposed. A low-hanging tree branch, a picnic table or a few chairs should be enough, They've been traumatized and will need a place to hide so they don't feel as vulnerable and exposed.
And Good Luck!

This just happened to us. Our neighbors dog got to our girls, and took off with our 3 month old RIR. Four of our girls are missing. We have Lucy in our room, in a dog kennel, with water and hydration fluid added. Cleaned and put neosporin on the wounded area.

We can’t find four of our girls, and are terrified that the dog got to them as well, plus they’ve fled, and we can’t find them. We live in the woods, so they could be anywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I would continue to go outside make a little noise, and shake a feed container to let them know you have food and water for them. They will take to bushes and trees to roost in and hide at night, so being out first thing in the morning to look is good. I hope that you find the missing ones. You will need to keep your pullets up in a secure coop and run, and also let the neighbor know what happened, so they will keep their dog home. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom