Help! Injured hen - bleeding - broken foot??

BecKub

Songster
May 11, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
One of my hens is bleeding on both of her legs. To be specific at the base of her tarsomeratarsus where all her toes come together. It doesn't seem like something attacked her, she looks fine otherwise. She won't perch though, she's laying in a nesting box. It probably hurts to wrap her toes. Her pupils are also super constricted and she seems totally out of it. I feel bad! What could this be??

Attachments

• IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 5
Perhaps she got bit by something? (Rat?) Or got scratched by an object or broken wire? You can treat with an antibiotic cream such as neosporin and/ or some hydrogen peroxide. (I'd recommend antibiotic cream though to promote healing and better disinfect ). If she's in pain, you can give her 1/4 -1/2 a piece of chewable BABY Asprain dissolved in a cup of water. (ONLY use baby asprain! ). Good luck! Hope she gets better soon!

I agree. Injury on something sharp in coop area or could be rat bites. Vetericyn wound spray, Betadine, or plain neosporin is good for wound care. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water, and offer feed plus some chopped egg or tuna. Look around for other injuries on othe chickens.

Her feet look scarred and not normal. She may have leg mites, treat her for leg mites. Check ur coop/hens for mites/lice. There r some mites that come out at night. There are lots of forums/threads on this site to research mites/treatments

Back
Top Bottom