Help, injured quail!

mwm715

Chirping
Oct 23, 2019
Hi guys! Hoping someone can help! I’m right in the middle of my first ever hatch (jumbo brown cots) and that’s going great.

But I went outside to collect my eggs for the night and all I could see was blood all around my pen. I’m talking feeder, waterer, even on the eggs. Upon closer inspection I have one hen who looked like she got her neck slit! Blood was all around her beak/neck and when I finally got her out of the pen, she freaked out and literally threw up blood everywhere.

I’ve got her quarantined inside, she is plump and seems to be getting around fine. I wrapped her in a towel and tried to clean the majority of blood off her neck, hoping it was just a freak situation and I could add her back to the flock tonight, but it happened again. Not quite as bad, and it was more brown than blood red this time. It seems like it’s coming from her nostrils and beak, and I have no clue what it could be or how to fix it.

Please send help, and I have pictures of her, just didn’t know if it was okay to post here since they’re a little graphic.

Wow! Haven't seen this before now. I don't know of any disease that would cause the bleeding from it's beak/nares. Only thing I can think of would be a splinter, small piece of wire or other sharp object lodged in its trachea?
It is going to cause alot of stress on her and you but if you could inspect inside the beak and throat to see if there is any obstruction. With no visible wounds on the outside, I can't imagine what's causing it.
Sorry I'm not of more help!
OH MY GOODNESS. You were more help than you think! I noticed a little piece of their divider (it’s plywood) cracked and chipped when I was getting her out, and I can’t believe I didn’t think of that sooner!!

Going to wake the husband up to check her out now! Man, he’s gonna love this. :oops:

Well, definitely think it was a splinter in her mouth/throat at this point. We finally got her open and can’t find anything, but she does have some scratches/gashes like she had something rough in her mouth earlier.
She’s still eating and drinking perfectly fine, and she’s not spitting anymore blood. Do y’all think she’s okay to return to the coop?
Also, can I put like duct tape or something over the small piece of wood so this doesn’t happen again?
Glad to hear she's doing ok now. You could return her to the coop, just be sure to watch her for any aggression that the others may have towards a 'newbie' being introduced to 'their' home. Yes, quail don't have very long memories, she my be regarded as an intruder, now! Just saying.

As far as the wood is concerned, if you can remove it, do so...if not try to smooth the edges down so they can't peck at it to start it chipping. I wouldn't put duct tape over it as that could potentially cause more problems.

i’ve been researching everything possible as well.....i’ve had many unexplained deaths/injuries but never anything quite like this.....:confused: the best info i found was beak trauma but yours shows no signs of that in the pic. other possibilities would be poisoning/toxicity, UE (which usually is not bleeding from nose/beak), or some type of bleeding disorder. hopefully @007Sean will have some better idea??
@R2elk.....any ideas??
I appreciate all the help here!! Everything else seems to be normal, even her stool. I am just flabbergasted at what could’ve caused it. :barnie I’m crossing my fingers that nothing escalates overnight, I also just lost my first chick and boy was I NOT ready for that!

Wow! Haven't seen this before now. I don't know of any disease that would cause the bleeding from it's beak/nares. Only thing I can think of would be a splinter, small piece of wire or other sharp object lodged in its trachea?
It is going to cause alot of stress on her and you but if you could inspect inside the beak and throat to see if there is any obstruction. With no visible wounds on the outside, I can't imagine what's causing it.
Sorry I'm not of more help!

Well, definitely think it was a splinter in her mouth/throat at this point. We finally got her open and can’t find anything, but she does have some scratches/gashes like she had something rough in her mouth earlier.
She’s still eating and drinking perfectly fine, and she’s not spitting anymore blood. Do y’all think she’s okay to return to the coop?
Also, can I put like duct tape or something over the small piece of wood so this doesn’t happen again?

I’m so sorry I missed this! Here’s some pictures! The inside is super hard for me to reach and sand down. It’s actually a lot bigger of a spot than I thought it was, and there’s no way for me to take it out as it’s built in.
Maybe you could take another flat piece of smooth wood to put over it.

Back
Top Bottom