HELP! Lethargic chicken collapsed :(

zed07

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
Kent, England
Hello! Please help~
One of our hens out of three has collapsed.
This is the second time after yesterday, but she got up and acted normally after that, however this time she couldn’t manage to get herself up.
She had been acting poorly a week and a half ago, she wouldn’t move much and her comb would become a little purple, and it worsened by day.
We decided to take her out separately, and she was experiencing bullying from the other two hens from when we took her out before and re-introduced her. :(

This is her now in the warmth:
EF6C1AFD-4EC4-48B2-A8F1-C1C251EC57E0.jpeg

But she’s closing her eyes most of the time and we don’t know why :(
Compared to one of our healthy chickens:
DB1925AE-1B17-426C-A3E7-1A51FF634792.jpeg

(Hard to take a photo as she was moving a lot!)

Does anyone know what this could be?
We’ve checked for mites or bugs on her, so far none, her feet are curled and half tucked in, half stretched out. She hasn’t layed an egg since the beginning of winter (UK), which was quite regular. She hasn’t been eating or drinking much, she keeps closing her eyes and resting, so she rarely poos (if she does it’s in a little amount)
She’s around 2 or 2 and a half years old, same with the other hens.

Can anyone recommend what we can do to help?
If we re-introduce her to the others she might be bullied even more, so any tips on that would be great?

Last edited:
She looks like a high production breed and her crop looks like it's bulging from lack of movement through her GI system.
This is oftentimes the result of abdominal pressure causing a back up. That pressure can be from a tumor, ascites, internal laying, etc. Usually things that cannot be treated. When I've had hens in this condition, actually not quite that bad, I have them euthanized.
Is her crop emptying on it's own?
What do her droppings look like?

She looks like a high production breed and her crop looks like it's bulging from lack of movement through her GI system.
This is oftentimes the result of abdominal pressure causing a back up. That pressure can be from a tumor, ascites, internal laying, etc. Usually things that cannot be treated. When I've had hens in this condition, actually not quite that bad, I have them euthanized.
Is her crop emptying on it's own?
What do her droppings look like?
Thank you for your reply! Her crop is emptying on it’s own and her droppings look normal but she hasn’t been eating as much.

Update: She is sitting almost lopsided, one wing out, one wing in, and she can’t manage to stand up or walk. I don’t think she’ll get any better.

Back
Top Bottom