Help lethargic chicken

Azchicken91

Chirping
Mar 25, 2019
Ive had my chicken for 2 years now and we live in arizona. For the past 2 days shes been lethargic and not eating. Heavy breathing and now her comb is to the side and turning blueish purple. Im worried about her Ive been reading threads and gave her Benadryll she felt better yesterday but today shes just staying in one spot. Im worried need advice please.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 13
So many possibilities.
How long has it been since she laid an egg? Have you looked at her poop? Is she eating and drinking? Any chance of a predator attack? Have you ever dewormed your chickens?

Now would be a good time to weigh her, if you can. Need to monitor to make sure she isn’t losing weight.

So many possibilities.
How long has it been since she laid an egg? Have you looked at her poop? Is she eating and drinking? Any chance of a predator attack? Have you ever dewormed your chickens?

Now would be a good time to weigh her, if you can. Need to monitor to make sure she isn’t losing weight.
I believe she laid an egg last week. Her poop is diarrhea mostly and had been white color. She drank a little water and a small piece of lettuce all day. No predator attacks that Ive seen or know of its a safe environment. Ive never dewormed not sure if previous owner dewormed her. Not sure what deworming is and how its done. But shes in her coop now and just sat down breathing hard. I hope she doesnt pass away I love her :(

It could be a heart issue, or a reproductive issue that could be internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Ascites or water belly can be related to all of those. Can you cup your hand around her lower belly between her legs to see if her abdomen is enlarged? If it is enlarged, check if it is soft and spongey, firm, or tight. Check her crop as well. If she has not eaten much it should be flat and empty. Check it again in the morning before she has a chance to eat or drink. Does she have rattly breathing or wheezing? Any mucus from her nostrils or eye drainage?

Will do. Sorry for your loss. I am glad that she is not suffering. I don’t know if you would be interested in getting a necropsy done by your state vet to see what was wrong with her, but that can be done if you keep her body cold (wrapped in the refrigerator, but not frozen.) I understand if you cannot do that. Here is a link to your state vet:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Thank you god bless.. not sure id want to do that to her she was family and is now gone :( god bless thank for for the help

Following.

I think I replied on the wrong version of this thread by accident.

Reposting my comment here.

I too would be suspect of a serious circulatory issue however you did say Arizona so I’m tossing this out there for thoughts.

Is there any chance she’s been stung by a scorpion?
We lived in Tucson for a few years and although I didn’t have chickens then, we did have other pets and I hated those things.

In chickens it can cause respiratory difficulty/insufficiency and extreme lethargy/ almost paralysis.

I’m reading on old threads that ordinary Benadryl (25 mg dissolved in a little water or 1 ml of the children’s version helped some birds get through it but it was a rough couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom