Help!!! Lethargic hen

When you see a worm in the poop, there could be many more inside. They can also form a blockage, and that can make a chicken decline rapidly. Is she drinkig on her own? If she is, you can try a molasses flush, one-fourth cup warm water with a teaspoon of molasses stirred in. It's a mild laxative that can encourage the intestines to empty.

When you see a worm in the poop, there could be many more inside. They can also form a blockage, and that can make a chicken decline rapidly. Is she drinkig on her own? If she is, you can try a molasses flush, one-fourth cup warm water with a teaspoon of molasses stirred in. It's a mild laxative that can encourage the intestines to empty.
She doesn’t go out of her way to drink anything but if I hold the water up to her beak she will drink it.

I’m not sure if we have any but I’ll look and give that a try. Thank you!

I’m using a wormer called Pig Swig that I got from my local feed store
Pig Swig contains piperazine, much like wazine. It treats only large roundworms and acts as a large roundworm flush. It's possible your Silkie is loaded up with large roundworms and a blockage has occurred in the digestive tract possibly causing toxic dead worm overload.
I highly recommend that you follow Azygous' instructions regarding a molasses flush. It's the only way to get rid of the dead worms. Once your Silkie is cleaned out, give her plain boiled white rice with chopped boiled egg mixed with buttermilk, make it a liquidy mixture because the rice will eventually soak up the buttermilk. Buttermilk is a much better probiotic than yogurt and is easily absorbed and coats intestinal lining.

She doesn’t go out of her way to drink anything but if I hold the water up to her beak she will drink it.

I’m not sure if we have any but I’ll look and give that a try. Thank you!
Use an eyedropper and dribble it on the side of her beak if you have to. Hopefully she drank enough of the Pig Swig to be effective in getting rid of the worms.

T
Pig Swig contains piperazine, much like wazine. It treats only large roundworms and acts as a large roundworm flush. It's possible your Silkie is loaded up with large roundworms and a blockage has occurred in the digestive tract possibly causing toxic dead worm overload.
I highly recommend that you follow Azygous' instructions regarding a molasses flush. It's the only way to get rid of the dead worms. Once your Silkie is cleaned out, give her plain boiled white rice with chopped boiled egg mixed with buttermilk, make it a liquidy mixture because the rice will eventually soak up the buttermilk. Buttermilk is a much better probiotic than yogurt and is easily absorbed and coats intestinal lining.
Thank you so much for this! I’m going to run to the store right now for them

Most chickens love the taste of the molasses and will be happy to drink it on their own, but you may need to syringe it into her. She has to get the entire amount inside her. This is how you syringe fluids safely. Notice the airway in in the center at the base of the tongue. You'll avoid that by inserting the syringe right along the inside of the right side. It leads directly into the crop and if you go in far enough, you'll be squirting the fluid directly into the crop, not her throat. This prevents any going into her airway and choking her.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Most chickens love the taste of the molasses and will be happy to drink it on their own, but you may need to syringe it into her. She has to get the entire amount inside her. This is how you syringe fluids safely. Notice the airway in in the center at the base of the tongue. You'll avoid that by inserting the syringe right along the inside of the right side. It leads directly into the crop and if you go in far enough, you'll be squirting the fluid directly into the crop, not her throat. This prevents any going into her airway and choking her. View attachment 2457937
The whole 1/4th cup?! I was wondering why I haven’t seen any more worms in her droppings. She’s taken a few sips but certainly not the full amount. Thank you very much for this

Back
Top Bottom