Help!!! Lethargic hen

I just called the feed store and turns out they don’t have Corid but they have this called Bird Sulfa which I have actually bought before!
ED52BAD5-1C0A-494C-A4DE-CE02167DC12A.jpeg
The only issue is that it is also expired 💀 would it still be okay to give it to her? I’m assuming it would be fine, but not as effective???

Don't worry about the expiration date. Antibiotics are usually effective long past that date. There is a program where they gather people's expired antibiotics and ship them to poor villages around the world where they are put to good use. I never worry about the meds I keep on hand expiring. They all seem to work just fine.

Start her on that right away. It may help her to improve in just a day or so. If you can, try to get the Corid, though. The antibiotic will work on bacteria, but it won't do anything to coccidia. The Corid deprives them of the vitamin they need to thrive and complete their life cycle. Ask the feed store if they have amprolium under a different brand perhaps.

Don't worry about the expiration date. Antibiotics are usually effective long past that date. There is a program where they gather people's expired antibiotics and ship them to poor villages around the world where they are put to good use. I never worry about the meds I keep on hand expiring. They all seem to work just fine.

Start her on that right away. It may help her to improve in just a day or so. If you can, try to get the Corid, though. The antibiotic will work on bacteria, but it won't do anything to coccidia. The Corid deprives them of the vitamin they need to thrive and complete their life cycle. Ask the feed store if they have amprolium under a different brand perhaps.
I’ll buy the Corid online right away. For now, I can only hope this bird sulfa will help until it gets here. I asked for Corid along with amprolium to the guy on the phone but the only thing he mentioned was the bird sulfa.

I think the antibiotic will buy her time until the Corid arrives. She's hung in here for this long. Continue the other supportive care, try to get her to eat and keep up her strength. If she gets weak, give her some sugar water and eggs.

I have a sick pullet right now, and I've been giving her sugar water when she appears to be slipping. It has revived her in a hurry and the transformation can be quite dramatic.

I think the antibiotic will buy her time until the Corid arrives. She's hung in here for this long. Continue the other supportive care, try to get her to eat and keep up her strength. If she gets weak, give her some sugar water and eggs.

I have a sick pullet right now, and I've been giving her sugar water when she appears to be slipping. It has revived her in a hurry and the transformation can be quite dramatic.
Thank you! I’ve never given my chickens sugar water before but if I think her condition is going south, I’ll definitely give it a try. I think the antibiotic did her some good since she’s taking an interest in eating again.

I’m very sorry to hear about your pullet. I hope she has a speedy recovery! ❤️

so update, the CORID came in a few days ago. It’s day 3 with the CORID but she’s still in pretty bad shape. She’s not interested in eating and drinking at all. Is the medicine not working because I’m I’m giving her the wrong dosage?
Since she’s the only one I’m treating, I’ve been doing 3/4 tsp for 8 cups of water. She probably drinks only 30ml of that though a day so does she need to drink more of it???

64A80B98-DA6C-43C0-93AB-A7EE51BF6780.jpeg 95D0B1B2-4021-4E98-888D-ACD729229F11.jpeg 1CBF9994-C32E-4268-B360-E9C5D9C64568.jpeg

Also want to ask if I should deworm her again. She just pooped and had this worm in her. A couple days ago, there was another one but bigger
0F41BAC3-1C36-478C-B37A-56A173DE3839.jpeg
This worm looks more flat than the one she had in the beginning

Back
Top Bottom