viacky

Chirping
I've got a chick hatching underneath a broody at the moment, I could hear loads of chirping so decided to take a look
20180731_115150.jpg

I pulled it out just quick enough to take a pic then momma tucked it straight back under. It looks as though it's pipped but somehow chipped a giant bit of shell off! Does this look ok? I'm scared the chick is going to get stuck.
Chick is alive and chirping like crazy!

I eventually had to hatch this little one myself, I flicked the shell of the air cell away, and found that the chick was in the complete wrong position! She'd got herself all spun around, and I think had been trying to unzip, but hadn't actually been breaking the shell (there were hairline cracks along the line of the air cell from the original pip). I followed the guide very carefully, and it turns out she was more than ready to hatch! She had completely absorbed all the blood vessels and yolk sack. I genuinely think if I hadn't intervened she wouldn't have made it

Personally if it were me, I’d put a little hole where her beak is... that’s just me! As long as she’s chirping , good sign! Good luck!!
Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure where the beak is, and I don't want to mess too much incase the chick gets shrink wrapped. I can definitely see a hole in the membrane, so she won't suffocate I hope

Back
Top Bottom