Help lost 5 chickens in 2 weeks

Sifford

Hatching
Jun 4, 2020
Not a new member but haven’t been on in awhile and it seems my account was deleted. I need help in a big way!! I have been raising chickens for about 5 years and I have never had this happen. We recently moved from SC to Tennessee and I started my flock over completely. On Valentine’s Day I purchased 21 chicks and they all did great until 2 weeks ago. They are in a coop that was a storage shed with the previous owners and have about a 1/4 acre run that is only shared with a batch of broilers which stay in the chicken tractor. I have been through a lot with chickens in the past but I can’t figure this one out. My girls were acting normal and out of nowhere one died. Then over the last 2 weeks I have lost 4, including 2 today. The signs and symptoms are odd to me. Out of nowhere one will become lethargic and mostly stay Laying down with their tail end hiked way up in the back. I have noticed with a couple that they have diarrhea and their crop is very watery like sour crop. When I massage it to try and see if anything is stuck and get it out they do vomit. Anyone ever ran into this??

Last edited:
Although I’m not sure what is going on with your chickens, I hope it can be figured out. I’m sorry they are suffering from something and dying!

1. Was this shed or grass area used for chickens or any other animals before, by the previous owner?

2. Is there any debris in the area they could ingest - maybe previous ownerused shed for home improvements and there are bits of metal or whatnot there?

3. Plants/weeds. Anything they can get into that is toxic?

4. how old is the shed? Could it be lead poisoning from old paint? Did someone have a hobby using gas, like go karts Or racing cars? Some could have contaminated the ground. Or lots of lawn/yard chemicals?

Back
Top Bottom