Update on crop probo

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
She is scratching around in the coop but not really eating anything. I sprinkled some crumble around in the coop hoping she may eat what she finds. puffed up feathers around neck. I will give it a few more days and then I will have to consider euthanizing. It is so hard to know what to do. Because this is the 3rd one with similar symptoms this year, I am really wondering if there is something in the flock causing this. I rescued 4 18 month old girls and have had them for a year now. Maybe I didn't quarantine them long enough. They are not showing any symptoms of anything other than 2 with bald butts and one may have diarrhea since I have her. Just so frustrating. I have wormed and treated with corid this year. I really didn't think it was appropriate to do anything else to the flock when they are having such a hard time with the molt this year.Chicken Chic article says flush with water. If impaction is suspected. I haven't had any mention of that here.
Poop is now hard no more diarrhea for 2 days. Massaging crop several times a day. Never smelled anything indicative to sour crop but have last few days. A burst of cow manure smell/ chicken poo comes out of her mouth while massaging. 4 days into nystan treatment 2x a day. Crop still not emptying over night. Hard in morning squashy after massage. ???? I am massaging in a circle & downward is that correct? Do I massage at all if sour crop? I was given chunks of coconut oil a couple times a day when crop was hard. Should I stop that or can it help?

If the crop is Sour, then I wouldn't massage.

Having a bad odor, does she have any lesions or Canker inside the beak?

If things are not moving, you can give a one time flush to see if that helps move material out.

Photos of her poop may be helpful.

Her poop has finally returned to normal. Small but formed and capped with white. Nothing abnormal inside beak. What about the coconut oil. Normally used to move things along for impaction I think. Would you continue that? I just read someone else’s thread that they’re. EE has this problem every fall when she molts. Mine are molting hard

The coconut oil won't hurt her, so you can give it to her for a few more days if you wish.

Molting birds often don't feel very well and can go off their feed for a little while, they tend to be standoffish and may not drink as much water as they should.

Crop still hardish in am no food. I am able to empty it manually. 7.5 days nystatin am and pm. Coconut oil and massage 1st 3 days. Massage and empty manually every morning since then. Still full. Spunky and talkative poop is formed. Before it was diarrhea. wanted to get out of quarantine coop. Only seems to eat junk. I gave a small piece of corn on cob to see if she would eat it she devoured it. Released today with rest of flock immediately tried to get grass. I am not equipped to do anything else for her so nature will have to take its course. I won’t let her suffer and will keep an eye on her. Others really went after her this morning but it seemed to subside after a bit. I was so hoping she would empty on her own and get better. So sad but I can’t keep manually emptying every morning. I think she will be happier back with her crew.

Back
Top Bottom