Help! May-be sick chicken?

May 25, 2021
Edmond (Snohomish County) WA
I have a small flock of 5 (and three 2 days to 4 months old chicks) and one of them is a Gold Laced Wyandotte. In the past, we used to just let them free-range in the entire yard, but now, since that we've built a patio and they keeps pooping on it, we had to put them in the coop with a small run and Runner, my Gold Laced Wyandotte seems to be much more sleepy after moving them in it. But all of my other chickens seems fine and still as cheerful as can be, but Runner just takes naps and sleeps a lot and doesn't even come out to greet me anymore with the other chickens. Yes, she would still go for breads and beat other chickens to it and will try getting the dragonfly we caught for them (not the little dragonflies, the big ones). She is still laying, but a now only 3-4 eggs per week (she used to lay 5-6 eggs per week). Is she sick and how should help her? Any help would be appreciated :3! 😣

Are you able to take some fresh droppings in to your vet to get a fecal float done, in case of worms or coccidiosis? How does her crop feel early in the morning, and late in the evening. Is it emptying overnight, or is it still full and hard or puffy like a balloon? Are her eggs and shells normal? If you can’t take the droppings in to a vet, I would consider worming her with Valbazen 1/2 tsp once orally, and again in 10 days. You may want to toss her eggs for 14 days after worming.

Are you able to take some fresh droppings in to your vet to get a fecal float done, in case of worms or coccidiosis? How does her crop feel early in the morning, and late in the evening. Is it emptying overnight, or is it still full and hard or puffy like a balloon? Are her eggs and shells normal? If you can’t take the droppings in to a vet, I would consider worming her with Valbazen 1/2 tsp once orally, and again in 10 days. You may want to toss her eggs for 14 days after worming.
No, I don't have a local vet here, but her poops are are always the same. Her crop feels the same, soft, not puffy, not hard, and her eggs and shells are normal, but she's not laying as much as before.

I just had another thought on Runner. Where is she in the pecking order? Now that they are confined, is it possible she’s being bullied off feed? Can you put out multiple feeders and waterers? I listed some suggestions on a different (social) thread, but wanted to try to help here, too.

Runner is the third on the Pecking ORDER, barely gets bullied (Yellowie is the chicken who gets bullied the most, mostly by Flawie, whose' ranking is right above her, but Yellowie is still as cheerful as can be). She is pretty friendly, barely peck others except when fighting for the best eating place.

Back
Top Bottom